Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS TIMES to 80360 or email us
Safety advice after chip pan fire
3:10pm Tuesday 27th August 2013 in News
Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people of the dangers of cooking with hot oil after a kitchen fire in Southwick this weekend.
Two fire crews from Trowbridge and one from Bradford on Avon attended the blaze on Saturday evening. The occupier had been cooking chips using an open saucepan full of hot oil, which caught fire when it was was splashed onto the hob.
Watch Manager Neil Chamberlain, from the community safety department, said that the safest way to cook chips is by using a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer.
He said: “These are used away from the cooker, so there is no risk of the oil spilling onto the hot hob, and they are also safer as they can’t overheat. On this occasion, the occupier was very lucky to escape serious injury – but his kitchen has been badly damaged by a fire that should have been preventable.
“On this occasion, the occupier and his neighbour tried to tackle the fire themselves. Our advice is always to get out, stay out and call 999.
"The occupier suffered minor burns and the neighbour was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation – it could have been much worse, but these injuries could have been avoided completely.”
If you have to use a pan to cook chips, you should:
• Never fill the pan more than one third full of oil or fat.
• Never leave the pan unattended when the heat is switched on.
• Make sure the food is dried thoroughly before putting it into the hot oil – otherwise it might spit or bubble up.
• If the oil starts to smoke, it is too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool, otherwise it might catch fire.
• Never put food into the pan if the oil is smoking.
If your pan does catch fire:
• Turn off the heat under the pan (if it’s safe to do so) and allow it to cool completely.
• Don’t try and move the pan.
• NEVER throw water over the pan – the effects can be horrific.
• Don’t try and tackle the fire yourself – leave the room, close the door, get everyone out of the property and call 999.
Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service offers free home fire safety advice - to see if you qualify for a home visit, call 0800 389 7849 or visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk