AN INJURY-TIME goal earned Goatacre CC a 2-1 victory in their game with Division One basement side Chippenham West End, who led 1-0 until the final ten minutes and looked on course for their first win of the season before the cricketers’ struck two late goals that brought their own six-match winless run to an end.

West End took a 1-0 lead in the first half through Robbie Burton, but Goatacre were able to turn things around late on with Kieron Gleed drawing them level on 81 minutes and with time almost up Darren Holcombe bagged the winner for the visitors to Sutton Benger.

North Star A 4 Corsham CC Wildcats 2

NORTH Star A found themselves 2-0 down at home to Corsham CC Wildcats and, after the first 45 minutes, Liam Westland’s side probably had visions of the reverse fixtures that the Wildcats won 6-0 but a strong second-half showing from the Star saw them turn the game on it’s head to claim a 4-2 win.

Scott Fleming put Wildcats ahead following a set piece and a second from Fleming who drove home from 18 yards after being set up by Will Chivers put the Wildcats in charge of the first half.

Karl Sharratt started the Star revival and Steve Allison got them back on level terms before a first goal of the season from Paul Taylor completed their fightback as they took a 3-2 lead.

A second from Allison wrapped up victory for the Star who have lost just once in their last five matches after managing just one victory from their opening nine games.

White Horse A 1 Staverton FC 0

HALF a year is a long time in football and never has the case been more apparent than with the fascinating on-going duel between White Horse A and Staverton.

At the end of September the two sides played out a 1-1 draw that ended the villagers' unbeaten start to the campaign and provided the Westbury outfit with their first point. Yet, virtually six months on, roles have been reversed and it is now the Horse that find themselves in the ascendency.

With a Wilts Cup semi-final to look forward to next week, White Horse would have been forgiven for taking their eye off the league, but a resolute performance not only maintained their impressive unbeaten run dating back to October, but confirmed their intentions of fighting on two fronts, courtesy of a 1-0 win at a sunny Leighton Sports Centre.

In the continued absence of Jason Povey, the Horse hoped that the visitors would lack some weight in attack, and although Alex Richards provided a similar proposition, he failed to be the thorn in the side that Povey has been in recent encounters.

Two evenly matched sides produced yet another cagey affair, with few chances of note. The loss of Dave Appleyard midway through the first half, to what appeared a serious knee injury, proved to be a turning point as his left wing replacement, Craig Hatton-Pocklington, headed home Dale Rowland’s cross ten minutes later.

His goal was to prove to be the deciding factor, as both the remainder of the first half and the entire second period produced virtually no additional chances. Johno Price wasting Staverton’s best opportunity with ten minutes to go, shooting wide, Hatton-Pocklington guilty of the same at the other end and Tom Oakley being denied by the cross bar late on for the hosts.

Despite finishing the day in second spot, and four positions above their hosts, Staverton, who now have only two games remaining, will be resigned to an inevitable slide as others make up their games in hand.

Horse on the other hand continue to go from strength to strength, relishing the opportunity to juggle both league and cup commitments.

MATCH OFF: Somerford FC v Kings Arms (All Cannings).