Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS TIMES to 80360 or email us
Colchester (House of Commons)
Sir Bob Russell MP (Liberal Democrat)
Surgery: Magdalen Hall
Surgery Tel: 01206 506600
MP Since - 1997 Majority - 6,982 Born - 31/03/1946. Married, 2 sons (twins), 1 daughter & 1 daughter deceased.
Education - St Helena Secondary School, Colchester, North East Essex Technical College.
Previous Occupation - Trainee reporter, Essex County Standard and Colchester Gazette (1963-66); News Editor, Braintree & Witham Times (1966-68); Editor, Maldon & Burnham Standard (1968-69); Sub-Editor, London Evening News (1969-72); Sub-Editor, London Evening Standard (1972-73); Press Officer, BT Eastern Region (1973-85); Publicity Information Officer, Essex University (1986-97).
Personal Overview - Has a background as a journalist, with involvement in the media. He has strong Local Government connections as a previous Colchester BC Leader and Town Mayor. He was a long term Liberal Democrat Spokesman until 2010 and will need to maintain his local involvement to continue to hold what has the potential to be a marginal seat.
Political History - Councillor, Colchester Borough Council (1971-2002), Mayor (1986-87), Council Leader (1987-91). MP Colchester (1997-). Vice Chairman, Regeneration and Transport Infrastructure (& Trans European Networks) All Party Groups (2001-). Member of the Catering Select Committee (2000-01). Member of the Home Affairs Select Committee (1998-2005). Liberal Democrat Spokesman for Home & Legal Affairs (1997-99), Sport (1999-2005), Liberal Democrat Whip (1999-2002, 2003-06), Shadow Minister for Defence (2005-10). Member of the Regulatory Reform Select Committee (2005-06), Member of the Home Affairs Select Committee (2006-10). Member of the Administration Select Committee (2010-11). Member of the Defence Select Committee (2011-). Liberal Democrat Whip (2006-10).
Characteristics - Knighted (2012). His media experience should be useful to him, both locally and on the national scene. Is a Season Ticket holder at Colchester United FC. Likes Morris dancing and wants darts to be an Olympic sport.
Business Tel: 020 7219 5150
Interests: Environment,Media,Animal Welfare,Transport,Regeneration,Sport,Local Government
- Defence Committee (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for the Armed Forces (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Friends of the Baha'is Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Basketball (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Civil Society and Volunteering (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Credit Unions (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Deafness (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Defence and Diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa (Member)
- Down's Syndrome Group (Member)
- Environmental Health (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Family Law and the Court of Protection (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Fatherhood (Member)
- Flags and Heraldry Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Folk Arts (Vice Chairman)
- Historic Churches (Associate Group) (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Home Safety Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Infertility (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Integrated Healthcare (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Kidney Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Men's Health (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Recognition of Munitions Workers (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Print Group (Member)
- Road Passenger Transport Group (Associate Group) (Treasurer)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Runaway and Missing Children and Adults (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on School Food (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Smoking and Health (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Social Tourism (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Speech and Language Difficulties (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group for Sport (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Armed Forces Veterans' Pensions (Secretary)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Victims and Witnesses of Crime (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Weight Watchers Group (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Youth Affairs (Member)
- All-Party Parliamentary Youth Hostelling Group (Vice Chairman)
- All-Party Parliamentary Zoos and Aquariums Group (Vice Chairman)
Eastern (European Parliament)
Mr Stuart Agnew MEP (UK Independence)
MEP Since - 2009 Born - 30/08/49 Married, 3 sons.
Education - Education: Blickling Lodge School. Hordle House School. Gordonstoun School. Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester (Agricultural Science) (2 years), gained the MRAC with the McLennan Silver Medal. National Diploma in Agriculture.
Previous Occupation - Worked in a school in India at the age of 18, teaching English for 1 year. Worked in a dairy farm in Buckinghamshire for 1 year. Farm Manager in the UK (3 years), worked in South Africa, had several jobs including working for Prudential. Soil and Water Conservation Officer for the Ministry of Agriculture in Rhodesia (1975-76), Rhodesian Army (1975-76). Employed on the family farm (1977-83). Ran the family farming business in Fakenham, Norfolk (1983-).
Personal Overview - Elected to the European Parliament in 2009 from second place on the party list. Experienced farmer who has since 1983 ran his family farm in Norfolk. Has been active within the National Farmers Union in Norfolk for a number of years. He is well travelled, having worked in India, South Africa and Rhodesia (Zimbabwe). Joined UKIP in 1999, dismayed at the way the European Union regulated Farming. Has previously stood as a candidate at both a National and Local level.
Political History - Joined UKIP (1999). Chairman of the Norwich and Norfolk Branch (2003-05), has been a member of the Agricultural Policy Group. Member of the Regional Committee (2004-05). Local Council candidate, North Norfolk District Council (2007). General Election candidate for Mid Norfolk (2001), for North Norfolk (2005) and candidate for Broadland at the next General Election. European Parliamentary candidate for the Eastern Region (2004). MEP Eastern Region (from second on the party list) (2009-). Member of the Agriculture and Rural Development Committee (2009-). Substitute member of the Constitutional Affairs Committee (2011-). Member of the Fisheries Committee (2012-).
Other Information - Norfolk County Chairman of the National Farmers Union (NFU) (1998). Norfolk Delegate to HQ Council NFU (2000-). Chairman of Castle Acre Cricket Club. Drove from the UK to India at the age of 18 with friends to work in a School teaching English.
Intergroups - N/a.
Interests: Small Business,Agriculture,Foreign Affairs
- Fisheries (Member)
- Agriculture & Rural Development (Member)
- Constitutional Affairs (Substitute)
Information supplied by Goveval. Send feedback to email@example.com