Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS TIMES to 80360 or email us
Adult abuse claims double in Wiltshire
7:00pm Saturday 14th September 2013 in News
Allegations of abuse against vulnerable adults in Wiltshire have almost doubled in the past year. The number of allegations found proved has also increased.
The annual report of the Wiltshire Safeguarding Adults Board shows that Wiltshire had the second highest increase in concerns in the south west, with only North Somerset having a higher percentage increase.
There were 1,686 alerts in the last year in Wiltshire. Proved allegations of abuse were st 58 per cent, up from 40 per cent the previous year.
The majority of alleged abuse, 545 complaints, took place in at risk adults’ homes while 379 alleged cases took place in care homes and 333 in nursing homes. In 459 cases alerts were raised by residential or nursing home staff while 293 alleged perpetrators were residential or nursing home staff themselves.
The highest number of allegations came from the Marlborough community area, at 63, compared to 31 the previous year. Salisbury had the second highest alerts with 60, up from 22, and third was Westbury with 55, up from 31.
The figures were discussed at Wiltshire Council’s Health Select Committee in Chippenham on Tuesday.
Margaret Sheather, independent chairman of the safeguarding board, said they would examine why there had been a substantial increase in allegations.
She said the rise could be due to Wiltshire changing the way it records such claims along with increased public awareness of safeguarding.
Wiltshire councillor Jemima Milton, portfolio holder for adult care and public health, said: “We should be pleased. People are becoming much more aware of where to go and how to make those alerts. There will be alerts in care home settings but a lot are unsubstantiated.”
Comments are closed on this article.