CHIPPENHAM Town full back Kevin Halliday has vowed to steer away from penalties for the rest of the season after missing his fourth of the campaign in the Wiltshire Premier Shield shoot-out defeat to Swindon Town on Monday night.

The full back had an impressive game against the League One outfit on Monday and headed the late goal to take the tie to extra-time, but faltered in the shoot-out as Phil Smith saved his strike.

Halliday has also missed spot kicks against King’s Lynn and Oxford City this season, as well as one in pre-season.

The full back, who is in his third season at Hardenhuish Park, admitted: “I’ve not scored a penalty for Chippenham yet.

“I don’t think I’ll have one for a while, maybe I’ll take one in pre-season to get my confidence up.”

Despite his penalty miss, Halliday was pleased he managed to shackle Swindon’s Mark Marshall for the majority of the game and declared himself happy with the team’s overall performance.

He said: “I thought I did all right, he’s quite a lively player and I kept him quite quiet overall.

Chippenham had been 2-1 ahead in the second leg of the Wiltshire Premier Shield semi-final at Hardenhuish Park thanks to Iain Sercombe and Halliday, with Billy Paynter scoring Swindon’s goal in between.

This left the tie all-square at 2-2 on aggregate after Swindon won the first leg 1-0 at Hardenhuish in November, and away goals were not a factor.

The unfortunate Halliday had his spot kick saved and the visitors went through after converting all five of their penalties.

Manager Adie Mings watched the match from the stands as he was suffering with a cold, but he would have felt much better when he saw Sercombe put the home side ahead on 18 minutes.

Mings’ side continued to acquit themselves well but Swindon hit back right on half time, when Paynter’s diving header made it 1-1 on the night.

The visitors were in command for the majority of the second half but Chippenham rallied in the final 15 minutes, and brought several saves out of visiting custodian Phil Smith.

Halliday took the game to extra time with the regulation 90 minutes played when he headed in a corner from Kye Holly.

Extra time produced no goals despite Luke Gullick, twice, and Kye Holly having chances.