Salisbury 2nds 25, Warminster 24

WARMINSTER were left frustrated when a late decision by the match referee saw them slip to a 25-24 defeat at Salisbury 2nds in their Dorset and Wilts Division One South game on Saturday.

The game started well for the visitors as full-back Alex Payne crashed over within five minutes of the kick off, but Salisbury hit back almost immediately with an unconverted score of their own.

Salisbury kicked for territory at every opportunity in the first half, forcing the Amber and Blues to run it back.

The home team made the most of their territory gain by scoring next and adding the conversion, though the visitors came straight back when scrum half Jimmy Woznica dived over.

Warminster were then unlucky not to score from an attacking scrum 10 metres out.

The visiting pack drove the Salisbury eight back over their line but fumbled the pick up and the chance was lost.

Salisbury went ahead again five minutes before the break but Warminster replied when centre Rob Bell smashed his way over, and fly half Gavin Pratt converted to tie the scores at 17-17.

In the second half, chances were few and far between as the wind forced handling error after handling error.

Salisbury edged in front with an unconverted try before The Amber and Blues got their noses in front with a set move from the scrum base.

Pratt dummied twice to his centres and gave the ball to Payne, who ran into a gap and rounded the full-back to score under the posts.

Stand-off Pratt converted again to give Warminster a two-point advantage.

Warminster retained this lead until 12 minutes from time, before a controversial decision was made by the match official.

The referee saw a late tackle on a Salisbury player from a clearing kick inside the 22, but gave the penalty much farther up the field from where the ball had landed.

This extra distance made what would have been an almost unattainable penalty into a kickable attempt, which was taken well by Salisbury.

Warminster pushed for a quick response but constantly fell foul of the referee’s whistle which took away any momentum they achieved, and at the final whistle defeat was confirmed.

The squad will feel this is the second game this season they should not have lost, and will now have to work hard to get back to the standard displayed earlier in the season, when regular training was possible.

Now that temporary floodlighting is ready to be used, the regular training regime will be restored at Folly Lane.