A STUNNING solo goal from Liam Milburn gave Bradford Town a shock extra-time victory at Wellington in the second round of the Les Phillips League Cup, in a game that saw an unbelievable nine goals.

Milburn struck sweetly into the top corner with four minutes of extra time remaining to give Bradford an incredible 5-4 win at North Street on Saturday.

It was the second scalp in two rounds for Paul Shanley’s side, after they beat visiting Dawlish Town in the first round in November.

And a dumbfounded Shanley revelled in victory following this latest win, which has handed his side a quarter-final tie at Oldland Abbotonians.

Shanley said: “It’s one of the best games I’ve been involved in. The quality of football was superb.

“That will be the game people look back on at the end of the season.

“The team performance was outstanding, all 14 players were excellent on the day.”

The Bradford manager believes his side have shown they can be a Toolstation League Premier Division side following the victory.

He said: “We want to be in the Premier next season and we’ve proved we can compete with teams in that league.

“Dawlish was no fluke and we turned Wellington over. Whether it will be this season I don’t know, but we have proved we’ve got players that can play at that level of football.”

Shanley also said the team were indebted to the 50 supporters who made the journey to Wellington to cheer on his side.

He said: “The support was tremendous. The players appreciated it and I did, it gives them a big lift.

Bradford took the lead midway through the first half when Milburn slotted home a penalty after Matt Minnis had been hauled to the ground.

Wellington replied with a spot kick of their own following a Matt Penman foul, and then scored a second to go 2-1 up.

Steve Tweddle levelled the game three minutes before half-time when he headed in Toby Dawson’s cross.

The third penalty of the game was awarded midway through the second half after Mark Gerrish was penalised for a foul, and the spot kick was tucked away by a home player to make it 3-2.

But eight minutes from the end the Wellington goalkeeper could only parry a Tweddle effort and Matt Minnis hit home from six yards.

An awful miskick from the Wellington stopper allowed Minnis to send Bradford 4-3 up in the 98th minute, but the game was levelled again when the Tangerines scored their fourth.

With penalties approaching, Milburn dribbled the ball from half way and slammed into the top corner from the edge of the area to make it 5-4.

There was still time for the hosts to hit the bar twice in the dying seconds, while Tweddle cleared off the line in the same Wellington attack.

But Bradford somehow survived the onslaught and took their place in the quarter-finals at the expense of the devastated home side.

Bradford’s Toolstation League game away at Bridport on Tuesday was postponed due to the snow.