Stereo removed after noise complaints

First published in Melksham

A stereo system was confiscated from a house in Addison Road, Melksham, by environmental health officers, following complaints about noise levels.

Police helped Wiltshire Council conduct a noise abatement warrant last Wednesday.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:14pm Sun 9 Dec 12

beetawix says...

Why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers?
Why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers? beetawix
  • Score: 0

7:29am Mon 10 Dec 12

Mrs Donnyfly says...

I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.
I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

8:35am Mon 10 Dec 12

€d says...

Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.
Why else would it be confiscated.
[quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.[/p][/quote]Why else would it be confiscated. €d
  • Score: 0

8:10pm Mon 10 Dec 12

Mrs Donnyfly says...

€d wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.
Why else would it be confiscated.
I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.
[quote][p][bold]€d[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.[/p][/quote]Why else would it be confiscated.[/p][/quote]I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

1:33pm Wed 12 Dec 12

lollypop01 says...

Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
€d wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.
Why else would it be confiscated.
I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.
The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated .
[quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]€d[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.[/p][/quote]Why else would it be confiscated.[/p][/quote]I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.[/p][/quote]The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated . lollypop01
  • Score: 0

9:15pm Wed 12 Dec 12

Mrs Donnyfly says...

lollypop01 wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
€d wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.
Why else would it be confiscated.
I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.
The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated .
So if more than one of your neighbours decided they didn't like you and lodged a trumped up complaint against you claiming your television was blaring all night, you'd accept officials taking away your TV equipment as the accusation was substantiated because more than one person complained, eh?
[quote][p][bold]lollypop01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]€d[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.[/p][/quote]Why else would it be confiscated.[/p][/quote]I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.[/p][/quote]The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated .[/p][/quote]So if more than one of your neighbours decided they didn't like you and lodged a trumped up complaint against you claiming your television was blaring all night, you'd accept officials taking away your TV equipment as the accusation was substantiated because more than one person complained, eh? Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

12:11am Thu 13 Dec 12

notscot says...

Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
lollypop01 wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
€d wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.
Why else would it be confiscated.
I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.
The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated .
So if more than one of your neighbours decided they didn't like you and lodged a trumped up complaint against you claiming your television was blaring all night, you'd accept officials taking away your TV equipment as the accusation was substantiated because more than one person complained, eh?
The removal of the offending equipment is only made after repeated requests to the offender - in peron and in writing - to be more reasonable - and after ridiculous numbers of complaints by (usually) several long-suffering neighbours.
We're not talking playing your music/tv a little loud, or a little too early on a Sunday.
This is the result of playing music/tv so loud that it prevents your neighbours from getting any peace, Really high noise levels Into the early hours of the morning - every morning. Played by people who don't give a rats backside about anyone but themselves.
[quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lollypop01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]€d[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.[/p][/quote]Why else would it be confiscated.[/p][/quote]I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.[/p][/quote]The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated .[/p][/quote]So if more than one of your neighbours decided they didn't like you and lodged a trumped up complaint against you claiming your television was blaring all night, you'd accept officials taking away your TV equipment as the accusation was substantiated because more than one person complained, eh?[/p][/quote]The removal of the offending equipment is only made after repeated requests to the offender - in peron and in writing - to be more reasonable - and after ridiculous numbers of complaints by (usually) several long-suffering neighbours. We're not talking playing your music/tv a little loud, or a little too early on a Sunday. This is the result of playing music/tv so loud that it prevents your neighbours from getting any peace, Really high noise levels Into the early hours of the morning - every morning. Played by people who don't give a rats backside about anyone but themselves. notscot
  • Score: 0

2:23am Thu 13 Dec 12

beetawix says...

but why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers?
but why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers? beetawix
  • Score: 0

7:04am Thu 13 Dec 12

notscot says...

beetawix wrote:
but why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers?
because it would be too easy to replace the speakers - taking the situation right back to where it started.
[quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: but why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers?[/p][/quote]because it would be too easy to replace the speakers - taking the situation right back to where it started. notscot
  • Score: 0

7:42am Thu 13 Dec 12

lollypop01 says...

Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
lollypop01 wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
€d wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.
Why else would it be confiscated.
I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.
The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated .
So if more than one of your neighbours decided they didn't like you and lodged a trumped up complaint against you claiming your television was blaring all night, you'd accept officials taking away your TV equipment as the accusation was substantiated because more than one person complained, eh?
Unlike some people, i have the utmost respect for my neighbours. Trumped up complaint ha ha, nicely put Mrs expert on everything that goes on in this county.
[quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lollypop01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]€d[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.[/p][/quote]Why else would it be confiscated.[/p][/quote]I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.[/p][/quote]The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated .[/p][/quote]So if more than one of your neighbours decided they didn't like you and lodged a trumped up complaint against you claiming your television was blaring all night, you'd accept officials taking away your TV equipment as the accusation was substantiated because more than one person complained, eh?[/p][/quote]Unlike some people, i have the utmost respect for my neighbours. Trumped up complaint ha ha, nicely put Mrs expert on everything that goes on in this county. lollypop01
  • Score: 0

11:01am Thu 13 Dec 12

beetawix says...

notscot wrote:
beetawix wrote:
but why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers?
because it would be too easy to replace the speakers - taking the situation right back to where it started.
I considered this but stereo systems are also easily replaceable if the offender wished to persist. If they did not wish to persist they would still have the opportunity to use headphones if only the speakers were confiscated.
[quote][p][bold]notscot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: but why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers?[/p][/quote]because it would be too easy to replace the speakers - taking the situation right back to where it started.[/p][/quote]I considered this but stereo systems are also easily replaceable if the offender wished to persist. If they did not wish to persist they would still have the opportunity to use headphones if only the speakers were confiscated. beetawix
  • Score: 0

2:31pm Thu 13 Dec 12

notscot says...

beetawix wrote:
notscot wrote:
beetawix wrote:
but why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers?
because it would be too easy to replace the speakers - taking the situation right back to where it started.
I considered this but stereo systems are also easily replaceable if the offender wished to persist. If they did not wish to persist they would still have the opportunity to use headphones if only the speakers were confiscated.
You're being reasonable.
Unfortunately - those who have his kind of kit confiscated AREN'T reasonable. (And the use of headphones would have been suggested - by several people - within the first few visits - met by either ridiculous excuses or outright abuse.)
Some put a lid on the noise from the first official warning.
Others don't - and eventual confiscation is the ultimate consequence for them.
No sympathy for them.
[quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]notscot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]beetawix[/bold] wrote: but why do they confiscate the whole system, why not just the speakers?[/p][/quote]because it would be too easy to replace the speakers - taking the situation right back to where it started.[/p][/quote]I considered this but stereo systems are also easily replaceable if the offender wished to persist. If they did not wish to persist they would still have the opportunity to use headphones if only the speakers were confiscated.[/p][/quote]You're being reasonable. Unfortunately - those who have his kind of kit confiscated AREN'T reasonable. (And the use of headphones would have been suggested - by several people - within the first few visits - met by either ridiculous excuses or outright abuse.) Some put a lid on the noise from the first official warning. Others don't - and eventual confiscation is the ultimate consequence for them. No sympathy for them. notscot
  • Score: 0

8:34pm Thu 13 Dec 12

Mrs Donnyfly says...

lollypop01 wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
lollypop01 wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
€d wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.
Why else would it be confiscated.
I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.
The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated .
So if more than one of your neighbours decided they didn't like you and lodged a trumped up complaint against you claiming your television was blaring all night, you'd accept officials taking away your TV equipment as the accusation was substantiated because more than one person complained, eh?
Unlike some people, i have the utmost respect for my neighbours. Trumped up complaint ha ha, nicely put Mrs expert on everything that goes on in this county.
The question of whether you yourself respect your neighbours or not never arose lollypop, so I'm not really sure why you felt you had to tell everybody that. My comment was merely an observation that the WT article was worded in such a way that some might think that a complaint - or complaints - is/are all that is/are needed for officials to confiscate someone's stereo, when surely those officials would have to monitor the situation first to ascertain that said complaints are genuine.

I am baffled, and simultaneously flattered, that you think I am an expert on all things Wiltshire. Please explain to me, if you can, the thought processes that lead you to that notion.
[quote][p][bold]lollypop01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]lollypop01[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]€d[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: I hope the confiscation wasn't carried out simply because of the complaints.[/p][/quote]Why else would it be confiscated.[/p][/quote]I would hope that the complaints had been substantiated before officials moved in. This vital information is not given in the WT's report, so one might think that mere complaints were enough.[/p][/quote]The word complaints in the report would suggest more than one person was unhappy about the noise level. What more do you need for this to be substantiated .[/p][/quote]So if more than one of your neighbours decided they didn't like you and lodged a trumped up complaint against you claiming your television was blaring all night, you'd accept officials taking away your TV equipment as the accusation was substantiated because more than one person complained, eh?[/p][/quote]Unlike some people, i have the utmost respect for my neighbours. Trumped up complaint ha ha, nicely put Mrs expert on everything that goes on in this county.[/p][/quote]The question of whether you yourself respect your neighbours or not never arose lollypop, so I'm not really sure why you felt you had to tell everybody that. My comment was merely an observation that the WT article was worded in such a way that some might think that a complaint - or complaints - is/are all that is/are needed for officials to confiscate someone's stereo, when surely those officials would have to monitor the situation first to ascertain that said complaints are genuine. I am baffled, and simultaneously flattered, that you think I am an expert on all things Wiltshire. Please explain to me, if you can, the thought processes that lead you to that notion. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

10:59pm Thu 13 Dec 12

yeold6x says...

Well said lollypop01, Mrs Donneyfly seems to think that she is the expert on all issues. Sometimes I think she plays devils advocate as her views are so extreme. and she seems to have no sense of humour. That aside I have had the misfortune of living next door to noisy neighbours and after several months of asking politely and being told to go forth and multiply we contacted the council and were issued with a noise meter to record the noise levels. When this was recalled by the council they were quick to react and evicted the tenants, so removal of the sterio system is light punishment.
Well said lollypop01, Mrs Donneyfly seems to think that she is the expert on all issues. Sometimes I think she plays devils advocate as her views are so extreme. and she seems to have no sense of humour. That aside I have had the misfortune of living next door to noisy neighbours and after several months of asking politely and being told to go forth and multiply we contacted the council and were issued with a noise meter to record the noise levels. When this was recalled by the council they were quick to react and evicted the tenants, so removal of the sterio system is light punishment. yeold6x
  • Score: 0

1:35am Fri 14 Dec 12

Mrs Donnyfly says...

yeold6x said...

Well said lollypop01, Mrs Donneyfly seems to think that she is the expert on all issues. Sometimes I think she plays devils advocate as her views are so extreme. and she seems to have no sense of humour.

No yeold6x, YOU seem to think that I think I am an expert on all issues - as for myself, I don't think that at all. I am simply commenting on articles as invited to by the WT. Some of my comments are my opinion on events, which I am allowed to have: some are tongue -in- cheek, or indeed me playing devil's advocate: and some are a dig at poor content ,ridiculously cliché riddled, reporting by the WT. I disagree with your observation that I have no sense of humour, perhaps it being more a case of you just not getting it.
yeold6x said... Well said lollypop01, Mrs Donneyfly seems to think that she is the expert on all issues. Sometimes I think she plays devils advocate as her views are so extreme. and she seems to have no sense of humour. No yeold6x, YOU seem to think that I think I am an expert on all issues - as for myself, I don't think that at all. I am simply commenting on articles as invited to by the WT. Some of my comments are my opinion on events, which I am allowed to have: some are tongue -in- cheek, or indeed me playing devil's advocate: and some are a dig at poor content ,ridiculously cliché riddled, reporting by the WT. I disagree with your observation that I have no sense of humour, perhaps it being more a case of you just not getting it. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree