Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS TIMES to 80360 or email us
Shock Trowbridge worker back at home
A workman who suffered an 11,000 volt electric shock at Trowbridge Rugby Club’s new ground has been released from hospital.
Leigh Burge, 37, of Cold Ashton, near Bath, was a banksman at the site in Devizes Road, Paxcroft, guiding a crane when it connected with power cables last Wedn-esday.
Mr Burge went into cardiac arrest before being resuscitated by medical staff using a defibrillator and taken to the Royal United Hospital, Bath, by Wiltshire Air Ambulance. He was later taken to a specialist burns unit at Morriston Hospital, Swansea.
Richard Miller, a paramedic on the air ambulance, who treated Mr Burge, said: “He’s back at home and his recovery is progressing. He’s very lucky to be alive.”
Mr Miller said he wanted to invite Mr Burge and his family to the air base in Devizes when he recovered.
Site manager Jason Tutty, said: “It’s extremely good news. The outlook seems very positive and he’s expected to make a 100 per cent recovery and everybody has been delighted to hear that.”
Work on thesite, being carried out by Ashford Homes, is expected to be complete by the summer, when the rugby club will move in.
Club president Mike James said: “It is such brilliant news that he’s okay. I’m glad he’s home and everyone at the rugby club is delighted to hear he’s on the mend and making a recovery.”
Mr Burge had a CT scan and it is thought he suffered severe injuries to his feet.
Work has continued but the Health and Safety Executive is carrying out an investigation into the incident. Its findings are expected to be released in around a month’s time.
Comments are closed on this article.