A LIT firework was shoved through a Trowbridge couple's letter box on Sunday night.

Police and two fire crews from Trowbridge were called to a house in Furlong Gardens at 6.15pm after the firework was pushed through the letter box and caused a small fire by the front door.

The owners, who were at home when this happened and put out the firework themselves, were not hurt but they were very distressed by the incident.

Hundreds took to social media to blast the culprits.

Zara Hill posted: "What is wrong with people?! What’s the bet it was kids or teenagers too!! Fireworks should be banned for the public to buy and only available for big displays with the right insurances."

Rebecca Horsley Millard said: "Oh my god that’s horrendous. What the hell possesses people to do such stupid things and endanger the lives of others?"

Caroline Dymond added: "Good Lord. So glad they're physically okay but obviously left terrified."

A police spokesman said: "Enquiries are being carried out and we would appeal for anyone who may have seen anyone in the area acting suspiciously in the area between 6pm and 6.30pm to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."