Trowbridge pub to stay shut after licence application thrown out

Trowbridge pub to stay shut after licence application thrown out

Martin Hinds, who was applying to become the licensee of the Black Pearl, at the hearing today. Picture by Trevor Porter

Councillors Nick Blakemore and Trevor Carbin today. Picture by Trevor Porter

Jacqui Gallimore, Wiltshire Police’s licensing officer, at today's hearing. Picture by Trevor Porter

Chris Fox, designated premises supervisor, speaks on behalf of Martin Hinds today. Picture by Trevor Porter

First published in Wiltshire by , Senior reporter for Trowbridge

Trowbridge pub The Black Pearl will remain closed for the foreseeable future, after Wiltshire Council’s Western Area Licensing Sub-committee refused an application for a premises licence.

The pub, in Church Street, has been closed for a month after Martin Hinds’ application to become licensee was rejected.

Mr Hinds intended to take over from business partner Tammy Newbury.

The authorities said that Miss Newbury was unable to continue being licensee because she was made bankrupt last year.

Jacqui Gallimore, Wiltshire Police’s licensing officer, requested that the sub-committee refuse the new application from Mr Hinds during a meeting today due to concerns regarding the ability of the applicant and management to “fully control the premises”.

Chairman Trevor Carbin said: “The sub-committee felt that the applicant demonstrated insufficient evidence of how he would address the licensing objectives, in particular the prevention of crime and disorder.

“Whilst acknowledging that this is a new application, the sub-committee felt that given the applicant’s involvement with the previous management of the premises he would have been aware of the issues and made efforts to show what steps he would take to address them.

“The sub-committee were in agreement with the police’s grave concerns regarding the fitness and suitability of the applicant to promote the licensing objectives, the lack of regard for conditions specifically designed to reduce disorder, violence and injuries demonstrates a disregard for the Licensing Act 2003.”

Mr Hinds can appeal to the magistrates’ court within 21 days of receipt of the decision.

Cllr Carbin said: “In reaching its decision the sub-committee has considered the relevant provisions of the Licensing Act 2003 (in particular Sections 4 and 18); the guidance issued under Section 182 of the Act and the Licensing Policy of Wiltshire Council.

“The sub-committee have also considered the written evidence presented in the agenda and the supporting evidence provided by the applicant and the police, together with the oral evidence given at the hearing.”

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:50pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Mrs Donnyfly says...

Is it cos he is black?
Is it cos he is black? Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 10

10:01pm Tue 19 Aug 14

missperfect1 says...

Mrs Donnyfly wrote:
Is it cos he is black?
Probably..very sad awesome pub it will be greatly missed lets hope they appeal and overcome..these random pathetic issues
[quote][p][bold]Mrs Donnyfly[/bold] wrote: Is it cos he is black?[/p][/quote]Probably..very sad awesome pub it will be greatly missed lets hope they appeal and overcome..these random pathetic issues missperfect1
  • Score: -25

10:03pm Tue 19 Aug 14

missperfect1 says...

Probably..very sad awesome pub it will be greatly missed lets hope they appeal and overcome..these random pathetic issues
Probably..very sad awesome pub it will be greatly missed lets hope they appeal and overcome..these random pathetic issues missperfect1
  • Score: -31

12:47pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Dr H Z Hackenbush says...

Mrs Donnyfly you are a blatant racist! What the hell has colour got to do it with it, unless your comment was trying get a cheap laugh mimicking Ali G but to be honest this is about these peoples livelihood and ability to earn a living.... your not funny or clever you pathetic bigot!
Mrs Donnyfly you are a blatant racist! What the hell has colour got to do it with it, unless your comment was trying get a cheap laugh mimicking Ali G but to be honest this is about these peoples livelihood and ability to earn a living.... your not funny or clever you pathetic bigot! Dr H Z Hackenbush
  • Score: -29

2:57pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Mrs Donnyfly says...

Dr H Z Hackenbush, you are a blatant idiot! Thinking like yours and crying racism at the drop of a hat devalues true racism. May I suggest you look up the meaning of the word racism in a dictionary, and then perhaps watch the film 12 Years a Slave, it might help you gain an understanding of real racism.
Dr H Z Hackenbush, you are a blatant idiot! Thinking like yours and crying racism at the drop of a hat devalues true racism. May I suggest you look up the meaning of the word racism in a dictionary, and then perhaps watch the film 12 Years a Slave, it might help you gain an understanding of real racism. Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 14

3:23pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Dr H Z Hackenbush says...

Donnyfly you really are an idiot! You have totally belittled this issue, your antipathy is whats wrong with society today! I hope you enjoyed your Hollywood brainwash movie. I suggest you educate yourself first, ever read any Harriet Beecher Stowe, Harriet Jacobs or Malcolm X..... I doubt very much!

#moron
Donnyfly you really are an idiot! You have totally belittled this issue, your antipathy is whats wrong with society today! I hope you enjoyed your Hollywood brainwash movie. I suggest you educate yourself first, ever read any Harriet Beecher Stowe, Harriet Jacobs or Malcolm X..... I doubt very much! #moron Dr H Z Hackenbush
  • Score: -25

4:12pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Mrs Donnyfly says...

Here you go Hackenbush, hope this helps.Racism = (1) the belief that one race has an intrinsic superiority over another.. (2) abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief.

Bigot = A person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own.

Now please explain how my comment falls into either of these categories. And trying to make out you've read some really thick books doesn't cut it with me.

#ravingloony
Here you go Hackenbush, hope this helps.Racism = (1) the belief that one race has an intrinsic superiority over another.. (2) abusive or aggressive behaviour towards members of another race on the basis of such a belief. Bigot = A person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own. Now please explain how my comment falls into either of these categories. And trying to make out you've read some really thick books doesn't cut it with me. #ravingloony Mrs Donnyfly
  • Score: 15

4:21pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Dr H Z Hackenbush says...

And a verbis ad verbera regurgitation doesn't cut it with me Donnyfly!

#muppet!!!
And a verbis ad verbera regurgitation doesn't cut it with me Donnyfly! #muppet!!! Dr H Z Hackenbush
  • Score: -24

10:26pm Wed 20 Aug 14

politepanda says...

Dr H Z Hackenbush wrote:
And a verbis ad verbera regurgitation doesn't cut it with me Donnyfly!

#muppet!!!
That's MRS Donnyfly to you. #badmannered
[quote][p][bold]Dr H Z Hackenbush[/bold] wrote: And a verbis ad verbera regurgitation doesn't cut it with me Donnyfly! #muppet!!![/p][/quote]That's MRS Donnyfly to you. #badmannered politepanda
  • Score: 14

7:43am Thu 21 Aug 14

Dr H Z Hackenbush says...

politepanda wrote:
Dr H Z Hackenbush wrote:
And a verbis ad verbera regurgitation doesn't cut it with me Donnyfly!

#muppet!!!
That's MRS Donnyfly to you. #badmannered
Sorry MRS Donnerkebab!
[quote][p][bold]politepanda[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dr H Z Hackenbush[/bold] wrote: And a verbis ad verbera regurgitation doesn't cut it with me Donnyfly! #muppet!!![/p][/quote]That's MRS Donnyfly to you. #badmannered[/p][/quote]Sorry MRS Donnerkebab! Dr H Z Hackenbush
  • Score: -20

3:08pm Thu 21 Aug 14

trowbridge52 says...

pathetic lot this was uncalled for on a item containing the news ,that you all go off on one which distracts from the item GROW UP
pathetic lot this was uncalled for on a item containing the news ,that you all go off on one which distracts from the item GROW UP trowbridge52
  • Score: 7

10:47pm Thu 21 Aug 14

beetawix says...

hackenbush uses imaginary tags including #moron. surely sympathy not abuse is required for morons.


If needed Mrs Donnyfly or anyone else could take lessons on belittling from yourself, one whose record in these columns is second to none.
hackenbush uses imaginary tags including #moron. surely sympathy not abuse is required for morons. If needed Mrs Donnyfly or anyone else could take lessons on belittling from yourself, one whose record in these columns is second to none. beetawix
  • Score: 10

4:04pm Fri 22 Aug 14

beetawix says...

trowbridge52 wrote:
pathetic lot this was uncalled for on a item containing the news ,that you all go off on one which distracts from the item GROW UP
The discourse may indeed be pathetic in your view.
However it is not, as you say, uncalled for, as indicated by the invitation 'Have your say'.t
[quote][p][bold]trowbridge52[/bold] wrote: pathetic lot this was uncalled for on a item containing the news ,that you all go off on one which distracts from the item GROW UP[/p][/quote]The discourse may indeed be pathetic in your view. However it is not, as you say, uncalled for, as indicated by the invitation 'Have your say'.t beetawix
  • Score: 4

9:31am Sat 23 Aug 14

corshman says...

Hachenbush you are a complete prat, accept that we live in a democracy and not micro world you live in.
Hachenbush you are a complete prat, accept that we live in a democracy and not micro world you live in. corshman
  • Score: 6

1:38pm Sun 24 Aug 14

A. Joint-Effort says...

I am a carer, the lady I support absolutely loves Karaoke at the Black Pearl. There is no where that provides Karaoke mid week when the Town is at it's quietest so Tammy started up Karaoke on a Wednesday especially for the adults I was supporting. My lady loves the Black Pearl and Tammy Newbury. It became a regular night for other special needs groups too. Now they have lost another bit of normality of social life. They now have to wait for weekends when other pubs may have a Karaoke which is much busier and also poses a much bigger risk of trouble breaking out around them. I have also been there on really busy occasions like the SKA night. It was a brilliant atmosphere and there was no trouble what so ever. A comment on Facebook points out that The Black Pearl is situated between a Kebab shop and another pub as well as a night club. How can this pub be singled out for trouble when most times if there is any trouble it is out in the street???? which has nothing to do with the Black Pearl what so ever. Martin Hinds is lovely gentle soul too, his mother was a midwife for many years at Trowbridge Hospital and delivered many Trowbridge born babies, she delivered my own daughter. Both Martin and Tammy put there heart and soul into making The Black Pearl work. The pub trade is struggling as it is, this was a good centre of Town local boozer that brought all walks of life together, it's called community. For some reason all the local pubs which are the hub of the community are being closed down. Many are struggling financially because of the way the rules for socialising have changed and others because of pathetic excuses made up and used for the purpose of shutting them down. Hello Trowbridge!!!! Get a grip! our town is becoming a Ghost Town!.
I am a carer, the lady I support absolutely loves Karaoke at the Black Pearl. There is no where that provides Karaoke mid week when the Town is at it's quietest so Tammy started up Karaoke on a Wednesday especially for the adults I was supporting. My lady loves the Black Pearl and Tammy Newbury. It became a regular night for other special needs groups too. Now they have lost another bit of normality of social life. They now have to wait for weekends when other pubs may have a Karaoke which is much busier and also poses a much bigger risk of trouble breaking out around them. I have also been there on really busy occasions like the SKA night. It was a brilliant atmosphere and there was no trouble what so ever. A comment on Facebook points out that The Black Pearl is situated between a Kebab shop and another pub as well as a night club. How can this pub be singled out for trouble when most times if there is any trouble it is out in the street???? which has nothing to do with the Black Pearl what so ever. Martin Hinds is lovely gentle soul too, his mother was a midwife for many years at Trowbridge Hospital and delivered many Trowbridge born babies, she delivered my own daughter. Both Martin and Tammy put there heart and soul into making The Black Pearl work. The pub trade is struggling as it is, this was a good centre of Town local boozer that brought all walks of life together, it's called community. For some reason all the local pubs which are the hub of the community are being closed down. Many are struggling financially because of the way the rules for socialising have changed and others because of pathetic excuses made up and used for the purpose of shutting them down. Hello Trowbridge!!!! Get a grip! our town is becoming a Ghost Town!. A. Joint-Effort
  • Score: 1

2:44pm Sun 24 Aug 14

The.Central.Scrutinizer says...

Dr H Z Hackenbush wrote:
Mrs Donnyfly you are a blatant racist! What the hell has colour got to do it with it, unless your comment was trying get a cheap laugh mimicking Ali G but to be honest this is about these peoples livelihood and ability to earn a living.... your not funny or clever you pathetic bigot!
Well it obviously was a cheap laugh imitating Ali G so what is all that other nonsense you rabbit on about? You obviously misunderstand the joke if you consider the teller to be the racist.

#goon
[quote][p][bold]Dr H Z Hackenbush[/bold] wrote: Mrs Donnyfly you are a blatant racist! What the hell has colour got to do it with it, unless your comment was trying get a cheap laugh mimicking Ali G but to be honest this is about these peoples livelihood and ability to earn a living.... your not funny or clever you pathetic bigot![/p][/quote]Well it obviously was a cheap laugh imitating Ali G so what is all that other nonsense you rabbit on about? You obviously misunderstand the joke if you consider the teller to be the racist. #goon The.Central.Scrutinizer
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree