Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS TIMES to 80360 or email us
Prosecutors abandon case against Bath man after 'losing' witness
9:51am Wednesday 20th March 2013 in Latest News
A man accused of having a Stanley knife at a Chippenham night spot has had the charge against him dropped after prosecutors lost touch with their witness.
Nathan Dixon was said to have shown the weapon to someone and threatened them at Bar Eleven on Friday, April 13, last year.
But Tessa Hingston, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court that the two witnesses had always been reluctant to take part in a trial.
And she said they had lost contact with the one who said he saw the blade, so would offer no evidence in the case.
Dixon, 23, of Coxley Drive, Bath, pleaded not guilty to a charge of possessing an offensive weapon.
But he had admitted possessing cannabis when a small quantity of the drug was found on him when he was arrested.
The court was told he had two previous convictions and one caution for having the drug.
Imogen McCabe, defending, said the drugs were for himself as he was a sporadic user, smoking it once or twice a week.
On the night in question she said Dixon had forgotten it was in his pocket and admitted it to police when they found it.
She said Dixon still lived at home with his parents and siblings and was trying to find work.
Fining him £100, with a £15 victim surcharge, Judge Euan Ambrose said: "Plainly you are someone who uses cannabis from time to time but possession is a criminal offence."