Family rescued in Longleat lions enclosure as car bursts into flames

A woman and her two children were rescued by rangers after their car overheated in the lions' enclosure

A woman and her two children were rescued by rangers after their car overheated in the lions' enclosure

First published in Latest News

A family were rescued from the lions enclosure at Longleat Safari & Adventure Park yesterday after their car overheated and caught fire.

Park rangers moved quickly to rescue the woman and two children from the vehicle before it burst into flames.

Visitor George Lear, who witnessed the drama, said: "The lions just kept their distance and didn't take their eyes off the fire and smoke.

"The rangers were pushing them back but they were reluctant on moving away as they looked interested."

Mr Lear said: "The car slowly caught fire and then the whole thing went up leaving the place filled with black smoke."

Kevin Ashley, from the safari park, said the lions were cleared from the enclosure and the park was closed.

He said the fire was put out quickly and no visitors or animals were hurt.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree