Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS TIMES to 80360 or email us
BOXING: Third time lucky?
NICK Blackwell says he has no qualms about stepping into the ring with any of his British middleweight rivals and with another big fight on the horizon.
The British Boxing Board of Control announced last week that the 22-year-old, from Trowbridge, has been given the green light for a British title eliminator against former light-middleweight Prizefighter champion Prince Arron.
‘Bang Bang’ Blackwell will take on Droyslden man Arron, a former British light-middleweight title holder, before June this year and could be on his way to a third crack at the British middleweight belt after challenges against Martin Murray in June 2011 and Billy Joe Saunders in December last year.
“I never get worried about fighting anyone else and the better the opponent, the harder I train,” said Blackwell, who took his record to 13-2 by out-pointing Ruslans Pojonisevs in a six-round contest in Trowbridge earlier this month.
“I probably thought that I’d have to wait a while before something like this came up and knowing you’ve got something like this coming up makes you get straight back in to the gym.
“It should be a good fight. Prince Arron is a good fighter with a good record. He’s tall and rangy and my strength is body shots so when he comes forward, I’ll be looking to hit him with those.
“Before that though, I’ve got to try and get a few more fights in and I want to be busier than ever this year. Last year I only had three fights.”
Lancashire’s Arron, 25, won the Prizefighter light-middleweight tournament in February 2010 and has won 23, lost four and drawn one of his 28 pro fights.
Blackwell’s Contender Gym trainer Mark Kent said: “It’s a good fight for Nick and I think that he’ll have too much for Arron. We’ll have to get him sparring with some tall people because he’s going to be up against someone who’s 6ft 3.”
FOR MORE SPORTS NEWS, REPORTS & PICTURES SEE FRIDAY'S WILTSHIRE TIMES AND FOLLOW US ON TWITTER @WTSport