WITH FC Buscots in Sunday Cup action, Miller Sports A moved themselves back to the top of Division Two with a convincing 6-1 win at basement side AFC Avellinos.

With a number of players out, Miller started the game sluggishly and although they had a couple of early chances you could see the team hadn’t gelled.

A couple of defensive errors caused pressure on the back four and Miller were soon behind when Tom Flynn scored from the spot to give Avellinos the lead.

It was 20 minutes before things started to click into place for Miller and Dan Woolford, John Bridgman, Robert Biggs and Mike Stevens all had shots from distance.

Miller then got back into the game with Richard Moules pouncing on uncertainty in the box to slot home the equaliser.

Miller kept pressing and found a lot of space in the channels a ball from James Webb fell perfectly to Mike Stevens running through on goal but he blasted over when it was easier to score.

Minutes later he made amends and Dave Maskery’s ball over the defence found the striker gambling on a mistake to slot through the keepers legs for his first of the season.

Miller started the second half brightly and last-ditch tackles were stopping shots increasing the score, Miller’s third came from Robert Biggs, who scored the goal of the day after an impressive performance.

The winger cut inside from the right, beat three men and curled the ball into the keepers bottom right corner. Miller weren’t finished and Richard Moules passed across goal for Mike Stevens to tap in for the fourth.

With the game looking comfortable Miller brought on Jamie Hiscocks for his first start in the A team this season and his first touch was a bicycle kick from a corner which went just over the bar.

With the clock winding down, Nigel Decarteret played in a lovely free kick which James Webb flicked against the post for Ben Grinham to tap home.

Miller then had a number of corners and with players going close a couple of occasions Richard Moules scored the sixth of the day as the ball fell to Stevens whose shot looked to be heading in before Moules applied the final touch to make certain it crossed the line.

Fortune Inn FC 2 Talbot FC 5

FORTUNE Inn who had already beaten Talbot FC 6-1 this season suffered a surprise 5-2 defeat in the reverse clash at Stanley Park.

Richie Bolter’s opener for Fortune could have sent their guests into a panic but that wasn’t the case as Fortune fought back and led 3-1 at the break thanks to Matt Law’s single and a double from Andy Law.

Like the first half, Fortune struck first with Ryan Kubulius reducing the arrears, but that was where any fightback ended as further goals from George Bettles and Andy Law, that saw him complete a hat-trick, sealed victory for a Talbot side who had lost three on the spin ahead of the game.

Potterne CFC 5 GRFC 6

POTTERNE CFC and GRFC were involved in a controversial thriller at the Northbrook that saw Tam Laidlaw’s GRFC claim a 6-5 win thanks to a hotly-disputed last-minute penalty in a game that saw the hosts have two players sent off late on.

Wayne House saw his opener for Potterne cancelled out by Robbie Burton, however Neil Clark restored the hosts' lead before Jamie Bayes wasted the chance to put them 3-1 up when his penalty was saved by keeper Matt Jenkins.

After the break Matt Baker restored parity for GRFC and then his penalty put them 3-2 up and when Matt Jenkins found the net they had turned a 2-1 deficit at the break into a 4-2 lead.

Back came Potterne and goals from Ben House and Neil Clark with his second of the morning made it four-apiece.

Burton regained the lead for GRFC before Clark completed his hat-trick to square things up at 5-5.

With time running out GRFC were awarded a soft penalty that was tucked away by Burton to seal his own hat-trick and wrap up a thrilling win for GRFC.

Potterne had both keeper Will McKay and Dean Taccuso sent off for protesting about the award of the penalty.

Southwick Wanderers 4 Sutton Benger 1

AFTER suffering a 9-3 demolition at the hands of FC Buscots last weekend, Southwick Wanderers returned to winning ways thanks to a 4-1 home success over a Sutton Benger side that they had beat 2-0 on the opening day of the season.

Benger opening the scoring on 20 minutes through Rob Kent but Southwick scored their equaliser in the 44th minute, Elliott Hinton scoring after Stuart Powell had flicked on a Jack Parker corner.

Southwick took the lead on 50 minutes Jack Parker rifling home a 25 thunderbolt for 2-1.

Parker was instrumental in his team's third, another excellent corner was turned into his own net by a Benger defender. Carl Davies completed Southwick’s victory when he netted following another Powell flick-on.



Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree