AS FEARED, the weather once again caused havoc to the fixture programme of the S.K. Fruits Ltd Chippenham & District Sunday League.

For a second week running over half of the scheduled league and cup matches were lost to waterlogged pitches, with two of those being lost in the quarter-finals of the Westernsport Trophies-sponsored WG Parr Trophy.

The Premier, second and third divisions saw all matches lost, and despite teams switching grounds in an attempt to get fixtures played another three games were abandoned.

Both of the surviving WG Parr Trophy quarter-final ties that beat the rain were planned for Stanley Park, but with the rain making the grass pitches unplayable the heavyweight clash of the round between first division leaders Prestige Bodyworks and Premier Division front runners The Castle FC was moved to the all-weather 3G pitch.

Tom Perkins' Castle, who are favourites for cup glory, may have fallen behind to a James Pope goal but fought back to claim a resounding 8-1 win that keeps their challenge for silverware on three fronts very much alive.

After falling behind Castle fought back to take a 2-1 lead at half time thanks to a double from Adam Heath.

After the break, Heath took his tally for the game to four with another two. Dan Sloan grabbed himself a couple with a goal each for Rob Mitchell and Gary Campbell making up their eight.

Sutton Benger 3 Chippenham West End 2 - abandoned after 67 minutes.

WITH their pitch at Stanley Park unplayable, Sutton Benger reversed their cup tie to the home of opponents Chippenham West End.

However, the match was cut short with 23 minutes to go by referee Neil Fautley who, with the rain continuing to fall and the deteriorating condition of the playing surface, had no other alternative but to bring a premature end to proceedings.

A first-half double from Chris Miles put Benger 2-0 up at the break but the villagers saw their lead wiped out within seven minutes of the restart as an own goal from Mark Bolton and a Ben Hibberd effort had drawn West End level at two-apiece.

Benger regained the lead on 60 minutes when Rob Kent race through the mud to turn the ball home.

But aas the game went on and with the pitch looking more like a cabbage patch than a football pitch, referee Fautley spoke with both captains and then singled an early end to the game, leaving both teams looking forward to a rescheduled game.

MATCHES OFF: Pig & Whistle United v Worton & Cheverell, Somerford v Sportzcoach Dragonz United.