THE Division three relegation battle featuring Wren FC and Old Road FC went the way of the latter who, like the previous meeting of the teams this term, saw them claim a 2-1 win that saw them end a three-match losing run.

Jamie House scored both goals for Old Road and both were set up by Dean Archer, his first giving his team a half-time lead and his second making it 2-0 before Andy Waller got Wren back in the game with a goal that proved to be just a consolation as Matt Fenn’s side slumped to their eighth straight defeat.

Melksham Cosmos 3 Worton & Cheverell 1

MELKSHAM Cosmos continued their impressive season with a 3-1 win over Worton & Cheverell on Sunday morning at Melksham Oak Community School.

Cosmos started the brighter of the two teams and opened the scoring when Chris Berrelly was brought down inside the box after a surging run.

The resulting spot kick was fired home by Alex Shaftoe to put Cosmos 1-0 up. Cosmos then continued their dominance as Jason Hull hit the post and Marc Scammell headed wide from an excellent Chris Berrelly corner.

Worton and Cheverell then had a spell of dominance with several corners and free kicks and also had a one on one chance superbly saved by Cosmos keeper Shaun Jenkins.

This save proved to be a vital point in the game when minutes later Marc Bowden capitalised on a poor clearance from the Worton defence and calmly finished past the keeper into the top corner to put Cosmos 2-0 up at the break.

Cosmos had early hopes in the second half when Alex Shaftoe went through one on one with the Worton keeper but his effort was saved well and at the 60 minute mark Worton and Cheverell finally had their break through when keeper Shaun Jenkins was adjudged to have been brought down an opponent in the area. The resulting spot kick was converted by Kieran Dickinson to bring the score to 2-1.

This goal gave Worton and Cheverell more confidence to get something out of the game and Cosmos were starting to look nervous. Despite their dominance, Worton & Cheverell were unable to find a breakthrough and a Cosmos counter attack was finished by Alex Shaftoe for his second of the game after showing great strength in his break through. The game ended 3-1 and was very well officiated by referee John Painter.

Christian Malford 2 Pig & Whistle United 2

AN END-TO-END game saw Pig & Whistle United come back from a 2-0 deficit to draw 2-2 at home at Awdry Avenue with Christian Malford.

Pig & Whistle had already easily beaten Malford away twice this season both in the league and cup, but Malford with a now unbeaten nine game run are a different side at present.

Pig & Whistle started very brightly and had an early penalty shout turned down when Malford captain Stephen Lynch and Pig & Whistle’s Rob O’Harrow tangled in the area.

Minutes later Malford’s stand-in keeper Steve Warner had to make a fine save from a goal bound header from O’Harrow. Malford began to come more into the game and Chris Watchman went close to breaking the deadlock.

A mistake by Malford’s keeper let in Sean Meer but his pass into the open goal hit the post and bounced clear. Steven Sims in the Pig & Whistle goal was also seeing his share of the action tipping a goal bound cross over the crossbar at the last minute.

The game was now end to end and Malford broke the deadlock in the 37th minute when Alex Warburton’s cross was headed home by Rob Lowe.

Malford could then have scored again but another Lowe header was cleared off the line. Just before the whistle Ashley Fletcher skimmed the Malford post with a low shot. Malford went in at half time with a 1-0 lead.

Although the pace slowed a little at the start of the second half Pig & Whistle were soon pressing forward for an equaliser with Malford counter attacking when moves broke down.

In the 57th minute a solo run down the right by Rob Lowe saw him ghost past two defenders before beating the keeper with a low shot for his and Malford’s second goal.

Pig & Whistle now pressed harder but had to wait until the 75th minute when their man of the match Mark Bridger scored with a fierce drive from the edge of the area.

Two minutes later Pig & Whistle were awarded a penalty. Sean Meer made no mistake with a well taken kick to bring Pig & Whistle level at 2-2.

Although tiring the Malford defence weathered the last ten or so minutes and could have snatched a late lead but were denied by a quick response from the keeper that ensured the game ended at 2-2.

Referee Sam Gooding had an excellent game in what was a very sporting match.

Sportzcoach Dragonz United 8 Crossblades FC 1

DESPITE not having played since they beat FC North Wiltshire 10-0 back in Janaury, Sportzcoach Dragonz United showed that they hadn’t lost any of their hunger in front of goal as they defeated Crossblades 8-1 to keep themselves very much in the driving seat for a top two placing if not the title itself.

Tim Chilton shocked Sportzcoach when he put Crossblades ahead and although Dan Moore restored parity for the hosts before the break their was little sign of what was to come in the second period as Sportzcoach tore their guests apart to romp home.

Sam Hargreaves put Sportzcoach in front, Mark Bowsher then missed a penalty before Dan Moore scored from the spot to make it 3-1.

Dean Moore added number four and Bowsher atoned for his penalty miss, and an own goal took it to 6-0 before Dan Moore scored the last two goals that made up the victors tally.

MATCH OFF: Trowbridge Town Supporters Club v FC North Wiltshire.