THE bottom two sides in Division Three went head-to-head at Nurstead Road and it was hosts Crossblades FC who boosted their hopes of beating the drop thanks to a 4-2 victory over basement side FC North Wiltshire who, after winning the Division Four title last term, could be set for a return to the division next term.

Goals from Carl Jacobi and Gareth Cole gave Tim Chilton’s Crossblades side a 2-0 half time lead with a second from Jacobi making it 3-0 before Jason Brooks-Stevens pulled a goal back for North Wilts.

Ashley Bartels regained a three-goal cushion for Crossblades and although Dan Deacon grabbed a second for North Wilts it was little more than a consolation as the Blades had done enough to claim a vital three points in their bid to beat the drop.

North Star B 1 Christian Malford 5

A 5-1 VICTORY for Christian Malford at North Star B saw the villagers extend their unbeaten run to 10 matches.

However Malford’s win owed much to the performance of the Star’s stand in keeper Mark Clark who was at fault for at least three of the Malford goals.

With the advantage of the wind in the first half North Star had the better of the game and took the lead through Adam Moody.

But they couldn’t take any of their other chances that allowed Malford to sneak an equaliser just before the break when keeper Clark failed to hold a Paul Knight shot with the ball falling to Dave Brown who made no mistake in squaring things up from close range.

After the break Malford made full use of the wind and when a Clark goal kick fell to Knight he pounce to knock the ball home put Malford 2-1 up.

Another defensive error led to Knight scoring his second and Malford third of the morning before more comical defending led to Paul Knight completing his hat trick.

With their heads now down North Star looked a beaten side so it was little surprise that Malford added a fifth which was again scored by Knight.

After Steve Warner had beaten two defenders he cross the ball to Knight who with work to do rounded the keeper to tap in his fourth and Malford’s fifth of the game.

Sportzcoach Dragonz United 4 Old Road FC 3

SECOND-PLACED Sportzcoach Dragonz United were given an almighty scare by Old Road who came out on the wrong end of a seven-goal classic which saw Dragonz work for what in the end was a hard fought 4-3 triumph.

Sportzcoach trailed 2-0 to goals from Dan Stevens and Andy Rose before they finally woke from their slumbers and realised they had a fight on their hands, but they were able to call on the likes of top scorer Dan Moore was a spark of inspiration and it was his first of three goals that saw the fightback start in earnest.

Sean Watson gave away a penalty that Ashley Barnett tucked away to square things and a second from Dan Moore swung the game in favour of Sportzcoach.

Old Road may have been a little downbeat after throwing away their two goal lead bit they somehow got themselves on level terms when Max Hardman headed home a free kick to tie the game at three apiece.

Sportzcoach knowing the importance of every point raised their game and with five minutes left, Moore struck his third goal of the game and 40th of the season to hand his team what could prove to be a vital three points in their bid to catch local rivals Melksham Cosmos at the top of the table.

Trowbridge Town Supporters Club 0 Melksham Cosmos 8

WHAT was expected to be a potential banana skin at Trowbridge Town Supporters Club was anything but for leaders Melksham Cosmos as an 8-0 victory proved to be a stroll in the park for the title favourites.

Alex Shaftoe gave Cosmos the perfect start when he scored from the spot early on to settle any nerves that they may have had.

Lee Fielding made it 2-0 prior to the interval and after the break the floodgates opened as Cosmos rattled in another six unanswered goals.

A second from Shaftoe made it 3-0 before Fielding notched his second and with the race on to score the first hat-trick of the game that honour fell to Shaftoe who scored his second of the morning from the spot to make it 5-0.

Matt Bowden added goals six and eight with his double sandwiching Marc Bowden neat finish.