THE CASTLE manager Tom Perkins says his side are flying the flag for Devizes as they target the treble in the Chippenham & District Sunday League.

The Premier Division champions got their hands on more silverware last weekend as they saw off Division Two Sutton Benger 3-0 to lift the WG Parr Trophy at Corsham Town’s Southbank ground.

On April 27, the Castle will go looking to round off a season that has surpassed all their expectations when they lock horns with Division Four winners Corsham Centre Youth in the final of the Eric Hughes Memorial Knockout Cup.

“We’ve not won a league before and we’ve not won a trophy either – I don’t think anyone expected us to do what we have done this season,” said Perkins, pictured right, with the trophy.

“There are only four teams left in our league but we’re unbeaten and we won all of the games against the sides that dropped out, apart from Biddestone (Social), who we drew 2-2 with.

“We were the favourites last weekend because we were playing a team who are mid-table in Division Two but cup finals are never easy.

“Our captain Gary (Campbell) scored an unbelievable goal to make it 2-0 and we settled down after that.

“We’re a group of mates who all live in and around Devizes. It’s nice to see a side from Devizes putting the town on the map because there hasn’t been a team from here that has done well for a little while.”

Castle went close several times before Jack Bramwell’s 20-yard effort crept through a crowd of players to beat the unsighted Hayward to give them the lead on 32 minutes.

Campbell netted on 55 minutes to double his team’s lead and, in the 77th minute, Marc Edwards headed beyond his own keeper when trying to clear a Joe Unsworth shot.

The match was refereed well by Adam Osborne and his team of Maurice Chilcott, Sam Gooding and Steve Higgins.

League president and WG Parr Trophy sponsor Ken Clarke presented Perkins with the trophy. Sutton Benger’s 48-year-old player-manager Mark Merriman was named player of the match.