SUBSTITUTE Luke Ballinger labelled events in the dying moments at Hardenhuish Park as "silly'', but conceded that visitors St Neots Town were worthy of an Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division point yesterday.

The closing moments of a well-contested match were marred by ugly scenes in the aftermath of Ben Mackey's controversial 88th-minute penalty, given after Bluebirds keeper Ben John was adjudged to have fouled the striker.

Scuffles on the pitch involving the majority of the 22 players ended coaches, substitutes and stewards running on to calm the situation, Mackey and home defender Alex Kite being shown red cards.

Meanwhile Chippenham were also investigating allegations that punches were thrown among rival supporters behind the goal and that players and spectators had become involved.

Ballinger, whose magnificent strike from 35 yards just under 10 minutes from time, looked to have won the contest before Mackey's leveller said: "It got a little it silly at the end but I think that's because we both wanted to go on and win the game.

"It was two evenly-matches sides and a good game. But it was a good game of football. I think the fans got their money's worth today.'

He added: "If you look at it, maybe it was a fair result. They came on pretty strong in the second half and when you are going down the hill in the second half, it's in your hands to go on and win the game.

"We've used that to our advantage over the course of the season and we couldn't quite hold on, which was a shame.''

Ballinger's strike was his eighth of the season and the winger will scarcely have hit a better one.

He added: "Me and Scotty (Lye) were talking about it and I always score one with a decent strike in a season and it happened to come to me today. It falls nicely to you and I hit it well.

"Nine times out of 10 they go over into the hockey pitch, but this time it hit the back of the net.

"When you see you have that much space around you, you take your touch and set yourself to shoot and I'm pleased it went well.''