CHIPPENHAM TOWN: Bluebirds await FA thoughts after St Neots fracas

The scuffles at the end of Saturday's match with St Neots at Hardenhuish Park (Picture by Robin Foster)

The scuffles at the end of Saturday's match with St Neots at Hardenhuish Park (Picture by Robin Foster)

First published in Sport News by

CHIPPENHAM Town are waiting for feedback from the Football Association before deciding what action to take in response to Saturday’s unsavoury scenes at the end of the 2-2 draw with St Neots Town.

The Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division club have held an internal inquiry into the fracas at the end of Saturday's encounter, which resulted in Bluebirds' defender Alex Kite and St Neots striker Ben Mackey being sent off and scuffles both on and off the pitch involving both players and spectators at Hardenhuish Park.

Town also studied a copy of the video of the match as well as photographic evidence after the game and revealed they had sent those pictures to their counterparts at the Cambridgeshire club for their comments.

Chairman John Applegate said: “We’ve sent the video off to the St Neots chairman (Mike Kearns) and we’ll wait to see if he has anything to say about it.

“At this moment in time, we’ve got to look into everything that went on and wait to see the referee’s report.

“We’ve always dealt with things properly at Chippenham and we’ve got no choice but to come down n From back page hard if there was any violence.”

The flashpoint occurred after the award of a controversial penalty to the visitors, moments before the final whistle.

Mackey converted the spot-kick to draw St Neots level for the second time but then he and several teammates became entangled with Chippenham goalkeeper Ben John in the back of the net.

As players from both sides joined in the melee, coaches and substitutes from the benches became involved while there were also scuffles on the terraces behind the goal.

It is understood that Chippenham are looking into allegations that a St Neots player was struck by a spectator during the course of the fracas.

The club will learn of any FA views, once the governing body has reviewed the report of Pewsey official Matthew Rushton, who was in charge.

Players and management met Bluebirds officials on Tuesday night to discuss the weekend's events, with vice-chairman Neil Blackmore pledging that the situation would be dealt with after being thoroughly investigated.

He said: “We can’t act until we hear back from the FA and also once we've gone through all of the physical evidence. But it was a cracking game of football on Saturday and what happened at the end really spoilt it.”


Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree