A touch of deja vu, as we are using the same images as last week for this week’s feature on the Tithe Barns – unfortunately no archive pictures are available.
Lacock, we have learned, was a planned village, established for the estate workers of the abbey in the 13th century, and the village streets form a square.
Our feature looks at the Tithe Barn in East Street, one of two barns in the village.
The first of the stone barns, adjoining the gates of Lacock Abbey, now houses The Fox Talbot museum but was first built back in the 16th century as stables for the Abbey.
It was converted into a barn in the 18th century and opened as the museum in 1975.
On the corner of East Street, on the right in our pictures, is the fine 14th century tithe barn. The original door can clearly be seen. Local tradition suggests the corn auctioneer took up position
in this doorway and the original Market Cross stood in the road opposite.
The barn served as a market hall for the village and with Lacock residents paying their rent in kind, corn, fleeces and hide were all collected here.
In 2007 the roof was restored, replacing many of the old timbers, and a rebuild was carried out in the authentic way, using oak pegs.
It was finished in time for the filming of Cranford where it was a used for a village dance, and most recently has featured as an ice house in the film Wolfman.
In the archive picture of 1905 a water pump can be seen, one of several in the village before piped water was brought to the cottages.