We move just around the corner from last week's Then and Now feature on Craven House.

We turn our attention this week to where Craven House has its back entrance in Emwell Street.

This street is rich in history, dating back to the 14th century and even earlier.

Excavations in Emwell Street during June 1979 revealed evidence which suggested the town's origins could be traced back to a nearby late Roman or early Saxon farmstead, Emwell Street was a back street to the early urban quarter of the town, with activities in the mediaeval period including the smelting of iron, butchery, leather work and potting.

Emwell Street connects the bottom of Sambourne Road with Vicarage Street and was formerly known as Back Street because it ran behind the houses of Silver Street.

Our archive picture from around 100 years ago shows the Weymouth Arms Inn.

Originally the building was a substantial private house with workshops at the rear, with a date stone 17 DC 71 relating to a Daniel Capel, a Warminster wool merchant and clothier.

In 1820 it became a common lodging house and later acquired a licence to sell beer.

For many years it was known locally as the Drum and Monkey, as musicians, complete with drums and monkeys found cheap lodgings for the night there as they passed through the town.

After renovations had been carried out to the Weymouth Arms in 1920, the landlord applied for the inn to revert to a public house.

Our today picture shows little has changed in the appearance of the inn although the cottage to the right has since been demolished. The site is now occupied by a small car park between the Weymouth Arms and Minster School.