A CORONER said he could not be certain that a Polish woman, who was living in Trowbridge, intended to take her own life at her inquest this week.

Natalia Cieslak was found hanging in the riverway footpath between Asda and the Odeon cinema on May 13 by a member of the public.

At her inquest in Flax Bourton on Tuesday, the court heard how the 29-year-old, who lived in College Road, was originally born in Maków, Poland before coming to the UK.

It is understood that prior to her death Miss Cieslak broke up with her boyfriend and in a statement from her GP Dr James Harrop from Adcroft surgery, he outlined how she had previously felt down but that she was not depressed.

Miss Cieslak was found by Stephen Powell who had his witness statement read out at the hearing.

He outlined that it was following a dinner in Bradford on Avon that he came back to Trowbridge on the last train by himself before enjoying a drink at the Rose & Crown in Stallard Street.

He added: “When I left the pub, I went across the Asda car park to the footpath.

“As I was walking with my dog, in the distance I could see something down the footpath. As I got closer,

“I thought it was a mannequin or something but as I was closer that I realised it wasn’t a mannequin but a person.

“I immediately put my hand in my pocket so I could call the police.

“My fingers were numb and all I wanted to do was help her.”

As he dialled 999, Mr Powell was joined by a female passer-by who explained the location to the operator before stepping aside as she felt too emotional to help.

Police officers including PC Gary Chambers and PC Lynette Beaven from Trowbridge Police Station were first on the scene just before midnight.

PC Beaven had her statement read out at the hearing which said when officers left the scene towards Castle Street, they were met by a man who asked what was going on.

She added: “My colleague said nothing and then the man mentioned the name Natalia.

“He said he was the ex-partner of Natalia and he received a text from her asking for help.”

Ambulance crews resuscitated Miss Cieslak and transferred her to the RUH in Bath but she was pronounced dead three days later.

In summary, Robert Sowersby, assistant coroner for Avon said: “Natalia was found on a footpath suspended by a ligature.

“It is not possible to say whether she intended to kill herself.”

He added that he would “My view given the public location where she was found hanging and that she contacted her ex for help suggests she may have wanted to be found before something serious happened such as her death.

“Therefore be recording an open verdict.”