A man who launched a savage attack on his partner when she tried to end the relationship has been jailed for four years - and ordered to keep out of Bradford on Avon until 2033.

Sean Foster left the woman covered in blood after raining punches and kicks on her, as well as throwing a glass at her which badly cut her hand.

The 40-year-old, who has a history of domestic violence, then used emotional blackmail to try to get the vulnerable woman to drop the charges against him.

Simon Goodman, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court how the couple had been together for almost three years after meeting on an online dating site.

During their time together he had repeatedly told her she would be nothing without him and separated her from her friends, the court heard.

On July 7 he had been drinking when he went to the shop where she worked in the middle of Bradford on Avon.

She said she felt he liked to meet her there so he could show everyone she was his. After arguing whether to walk or drive they went back to her home in the town.

When they got there she said she wanted to end the relationship and she was surprised at how well he took it.

During the course of the night there was texting about him collecting his things and he turned up at her door at 6.30am on the Sunday morning.

Again appearing calm, he started putting things in a suitcase when he suddenly turned and rained punches and kicks on her.

She said they were full force blows to her face, as if he were fighting a man, before he grabbed a glass and threw it at her head, cutting her hand as she put it up.

As a result of the cut the court heard there was blood on the walls, bed, door and the carpet was so stained it had to later be replaced.

Mr Goodman said that when the woman went to hospital to have the wound looked at Foster, who had changed his clothes, turned up and got in past security.

In the following days he told her his parents were suffering as a result of her reporting the matter and asked her to drop the charges.

He even managed to move back in with her, and then after she told police and he was remanded in custody continued to contact her.

Foster, who gave an address in Long Ashton, Bristol, admitted perverting the course of justice and actual bodily harm.

Tony Bignall, defending, said that his client had also been left damaged by what took place and now accepted the relationship was over.

He said the woman had contacted him while he was in jail telling him she loved him and wanted to be with him.

Jailing him Judge Robert Pawson said " You are, from what I have heard, a possessive and controlling man in a relationship with a woman.

"You beat her, in her words, like you were beating a man. Your attack was savage, there is no other word for it."

He also imposed a restraining order banning him from contacting her or going to Bradford on Avon for 15 years.