TV presenter and athlete Sharron Davies has pledged to help local firemen recruit new volunteers, after the service extinguished a car fire at her Bradford on Avon home.

Her three-year-old Range Rover burst into flames on New Year’s Eve and was almost completely destroyed in the blaze, which is believed to have started as the result of an electrical fault.

Miss Davies, 56, said on Wednesday: “The fire service men and women were absolutely amazing. They managed to put out the fire within minutes.

“I have said I will work with them to help recruit new people as a thank you for helping me.”

The former Olympic swimming silver medallist said the Range Rover, which had been parked next to her home off Berryfield Road, had been on fire for about five or six minutes before anyone noticed.

After the alarm was raised, the local fire crew from Bradford on Avon Fire Station arrived within minutes to put out the blaze.

Miss Davies said: “It was quite scary how fast the fire was. It was right next to the house and the whole building could have gone up in flames.”

She took to Twitter to thank the fire service, saying: “They saved our house from going up. Very scary... & very unhappy with a car less than three years old.”