ADVICE is being given by the police to drivers following a spate of reports of catalytic converter thefts from vehicles in the Trowbridge area.

On one occasion, a catalytic converter was cut from a Honda Jazz which was parked in the multi-storey car park in St Stephens Place, Trowbridge. This happened some time on January 6.

On the same day, another Honda Jazz was targeted while parked in the council car park in Bythesea Road, Trowbridge, and a Toyta Auris Icon has its converter stolen while parked in Court Street car park.

There have been similar reports in the Bradford-on-Avon area.

To help reduce the risk of your catalytic converter being stolen from your vehicle, try to:

• Park your car in a locked garage where possible, but if this isn’t an option, then park it in a well-lit and well-populated area

• Park close to fences, walls or a kerb with the exhaust being closest to the fence, wall or kerb to make the theft more difficult

• Avoid parking your vehicle half on the pavement and half on the road, as this may make it easier for thieves to access the catalytic converter

• If parking in a public car park, consider parking alongside other cars and facing your bonnet towards the wall if possible. With the catalytic converter positioned at the front of your vehicle, this will make it harder for thieves to get close enough to steal it

• If there is a fleet of vehicles, park the low clearance vehicles to block the high clearance vehicles. This will obstruct access underneath

• If your catalytic converter is bolted on, you can ask for your local garage to weld the bolts to make it more difficult to remove.

• Alternatively, you can also etch a serial number on the converter

• You can even purchase a ‘cage clamp’ which is a cage device that locks in around the converter to make it more difficult to remove

• If you see someone acting suspiciously under a vehicle, report it to the police. Obtain as much information as possible, including any vehicle registrations.

If you have any information relating to any of these incidents, call 101.