POLICE have arrested two people as part of their investigation into the fatal crash in Westbury in which 18-year-old Bethany Ovenden-Gumm died.

A 19-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man, both local, have been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. Both have since been released under investigation.

A Wiltshire Police spokesman said: “These arrests relate to two other vehicles, a Vauxhall Astra and a Vauxhall Corsa, which we believe were involved in the incident and so form part of our ongoing investigation.”

The people arrested so far are understood to be the drivers of two other vehicles which were travelling around Westbury on the night of February 5, before the crash on The Mead in which Bethany was killed.

The driver of the crash vehicle has not been arrested, and remains seriously ill in Southmead Hospital, Bristol. Police have refused to name him although his identity is known to many people in Westbury.

Police have now appealed again for witnesses to the crash, which happened just before 11.40pm on Friday, February 5.

The appeal came as Westbury Mayor, Cllr Mike Sutton, revealed the town council had already asked for speed restriction measures along The Mead but were refused.

“We did ask for a pelican crossing but were told it would not happen because of the cost to injury ratio. Maybe now, they will look at it again,” he said.

Miss Ovenden-Gumm, a childcare student at Wiltshire College in Trowbridge, died in the smash, in which four other teenagers, aged 17-19, were injured.

The silver Ford Fiesta was travelling along The Mead towards the roundabout junction on the A350, near Lidl, when the accident happened.

It hit a kerb and is understood to have bounced off that before smashing into a brick garden wall and a tree.

The 19-year-old driver was rushed to Southmead Hospital with serious leg injuries. An 18-year-old girl who was taken to Southmead Hospital with serious injuries is understood to still be in an induced coma.

A 17-year-old girl escaped with minor injuries and was treated at the Royal United Hospital in Bath.

Police said the fifth person in the crash vehicle, a 19-year-old man, left the scene after the accident and later went to hospital of his own accord with injuries that were not life-threatening.

Miss Ovenden-Gumm was the front seat passenger in the car, and died at the scene.

Police declined this week to name any of the four people, or to release information on the condition of the pair who remain in hospital.

Social media sites in the town are buzzing with rumours and comments on the crash, suggesting various names for those involved and speculating as to the cause of the accident and the behaviour of young drivers in the town.

Police also declined to comment on whether investigating officers have been able to interview all the three people in the rear of the car in which Bethany died as witnesses.

They also declined to comment on a report that another driver had witnessed the car involved in the crash earlier that evening and, concerned about the way it was being driven, had flashed his lights at them as a warning.

However the force did say: “We encourage anyone with any information in regard to this incident to contact us on 101, quoting log number 347 of February 5.

“No matter how small the detail may seem to them, it could prove important in our ongoing enquiries. This applies to any CCTV or dashcam footage people may have.

We ask that the privacy of the family is respected by all at this difficult time and stress that any speculation about the circumstances of this incident is really unhelpful and can negatively impact on a police investigation.”

More flowers and tributes have been laid at the crash scene, replacing those taken by the family.