SUPPORTERS of the London Premiership football club Chelsea FC are trying to find the final resting place of one of their former players.

A group of supporters including Andrew Rowley are researching and recording the final resting places of ex-players and officials.

They have been unable to find the grave of Vic Woodley, a former landlord of The Barge public house in Bradford on Avon, who was a goalkeeper for Chelsea FC from 1931-1945.

Mr Woodley was born on February 26 1910 in Burnham near Slough and died on October 23 1978 in Bradford on Avon.

Mr Rowley said: “I gather he was landlord of The Barge public house in Bradford on Avon at some stage of his retirement.

“Vic's final resting place is proving to be something of a mystery. We have tried available records both in Bath and from local churches and crematoriums but no luck.”

Mr Woodley played for both Chelsea FC and the England national team between the wars.

He was spotted by a Chelsea scout whilst playing for Windsor & Eton and signed for the club in 1931, making his debut the same year.

Mr Woodley was a member of the glamorous Chelsea side of the 1930s, playing alongside the likes of Hughie Gallacher, Alex Jackson and Alec Cheyne.

Known for his reliability and his impressive sense of anticipation, Mr Woodley's performances were often key to preserving Chelsea's First Division status with his high-profile teammates invariably failing to live up to expectations.

So reliable was he that he kept John Jackson, Scotland's first choice goalkeeper, out of the Chelsea side.

Mr Woodley won 19 caps for England - all consecutive, a record at the time - and in an era when there was stiff competition for the England goalkeeping jersey from Harry Hibbs, George Tweedy and Frank Swift.

He was a member of the England side which toured Nazi Germany in 1938, performing the Hitler salute before the match at the Olympiastadion.

His international career was ended prematurely by the outbreak of the Second World War.

Mr Woodley briefly resumed his playing career with Chelsea after the war, playing in their famous friendly match against Soviet side, Dynamo Moscow, but left on a free transfer shortly afterwards and joined Bath City.

An injury crisis among Derby County's goalkeepers saw Mr Woodley return to the First Division early in 1946, making a further 30 league appearances. His career also ended on a high note, as he kept goal during Derby's 4-1 FA Cup final win over Charlton Athletic.

To help, contact Mr Rowley at