WILTSHIRE COUNCIL has warned against putting electrical items in waste or recycling bins.

On social media, the council published photos of a burnt up hoover which it said was disposed of in a recycling bin.

In the post, the local authority asks residents not to put electrical or anything that includes batteries into bins.

READ MORE: Council tax may increase by hundreds to keep services running, experts warn

The post said: “The battery of a rechargeable vacuum cleaner went in a blue-lidded recycling bin & caused a recycling lorry to catch fire.

“Please don’t put any electrical items or anything that includes batteries, into your bins.

“Batteries can be taken to your local recycling centre.”

READ MORE: Campaigners plan to launch a judicial review over the Future Chippenham decision

According to the council, batteries and all electrical items, large or small, can be taken to any of the household recycling centres to be disposed of safely.

It added that many supermarkets now have facilities to recycle household batteries.

For more information, please click here.