Prince Charles has revealed the final conversation he shared with his father Prince Philip before his death earlier this year.

Buckingham Palace confirmed on April 9 that the Duke of Edinburgh had died at the age of 99, two months before he was due to celebrate his 100th birthday.

The Prince of Wales has now shed light on the final conversation between the two, with celebrations for Prince Philip’s 100th birthday in preparation, according to reports.

Prince Charles apparently said: “We’re talking about your birthday.”

With his father struggling to hear him, he was forced to repeat his words.

“We’re talking about your birthday!” Prince Charles said.

“And whether there’s going to be reception!”

Phillip was taken by car to the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in central London on February 16, after telling his doctor he felt unwell.

But two weeks later was moved to St Bartholomew’s Hospital in the City of London by ambulance.

The duke underwent a successful procedure on a pre-existing heart condition at Barts on March 3, just three months before his 100th birthday, before returning to King Edward VII’s a few days later to recuperate and continue his treatment.

The news of his death was announced in a statement on Twitter by Royal Family on behalf of the Queen.

It said: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.”

He was buried a week later in front of just 30 mourners at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

The Queen and her family gathered to say farewell to the Duke of Edinburgh, as the rest of the world watched on.

St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle was decorated with Philip’s insignia reflecting his many roles in public life and his connections with many nations, and his coffin was brought there in a customised Land Rover he helped design.

The Queen, who was married to Philip for 73 years, wore a face mask as she led 30 mourners under limits required by coronavirus laws at the time.