WARMINSTER proved much too strong for Dorset & Wilts One North basement boys Supermarine as they romped to a 39-5 win on the road.

The Amber and Blues struck first as Gavin Pratt’s quick tap penalty eventually allowed Dean Priestman to run in unopposed out wide, although Jimmy Rees missed the extras.

Warminster looked dangerous with ball in hand and their second score came when Ross Williams evaded tackles and used his pace to run in from distance to the corner. Williams also took over kicking duties but was unsuccessful.

The last score of the half came from a set-piece as Reid Curtis picked up from base of the scrum and smashed his way out of the 22 before Jamie Verden finished the job for his first try for the club. Gavin Pratt’s kick made it 17-0 at half-time.

Straight from the restart, Dan Bowman was able to skilfully catch the bouncing with one hand and took a direct route to the tryline, although Rees missed the extras.

Warminster would run in three more tries before the final whistle, with Verden scoring two more, while Dan McIntyre got the other.

The last 15 minutes were plagued by injury as Tom Hindley and Priestman had to withdraw before Warminster skipper James Rowbotham was sin-binned.

That allowed Supermarine managing to score a richly-deserved try, although it had little impact on the final result.

Elsewhere, Melksham got the better of local rivals Trowbridge 2nd to claim a 15-11 victory.

The home side struck first, scoring a converted try from close range, but the lead did not last long as Melksham were able to show their attacking prowess.

Lewie Simmons turned over possession before Alistair Smith put captain David Dyke through in the corner to level the scores.

A Trowbridge penalty then put them 8-5 in front, however, a yellow card then saw them a man down.

This allowed Melksham to put together a well-worked lineout drive, which led to Ben Smith touching down before Alistair Smith’s conversion made it 12-8 at half-time.

The second half started evenly as a Trowbridge penalty pulled the deficit back to one point, however, another yellow card saw them back down to 14 men.

Alistair Smith capitalised, landing a 40m penalty to extend Melksham’s lead to 15-11 and resolute defending saw the visitors close out he final 10 minutes to seal victory.