TROWBRIDGE coach Dan Jeffries was left frustrated as his side conceded two tries at inopportune moments, resulting in a 19-19 draw away at struggling Swindon in South West One East.

Trowbridge made the best of the difficult conditions to put 19 first-half points on the board.

But midway through the visitors’ scoring, Swindon nicked a try of their own before storming back in the second half and completing the comeback to level the scores late on.

Jeffries said: “We definitely let the points slip away, but it was probably a product of the circumstances.

“We played with the wind in the first half and scored 19 points. Swindon scored a try in the middle of that, but we looked in complete control.

“Then we came out against the wind, picked up three injuries and found ourselves holding on a bit, and they scored to level it up with two minutes to play.

“We did enough to secure a result and in different circumstances, with maybe one less injury, we would have probably held on at the end.

“The key issue for us was giving away the try when we had the wind behind us.

“Swindon had about 10 per cent possession during the half and we worked really hard for our scores, but gave away a soft try when we were in control.”

Elsewhere, after a winless February, Chippenham triumphed at the first time of asking in March as they won 47-33 at Oxford Harlequins.

Chippenham opted to play into a strong wind in the first half, but soon in arrears when Quins scored a penalty.

The visitors managed to find their feet quickly, though, and took a 12-3 lead after tries from Matt Dickens and Charlie Palmer, with Oli Alcorn converting one.

Quins started to use the wind advantage to good effect, but Chippenham showed resilience in defence until Aaron Clark was sent to the sin-bin, allowing the hosts to kick another penalty.

Chippenham soon took charge of proceedings again and a Alcorn gathered Jacob Unwin’s pass allowed to score under the posts before adding the extras himself.

Quins began to build up pressure themselves and a converted try of their own cut the visitors’ lead to 19-13, before two more penalties from the home side saw the teams head in at half-time with the score all-square.

The interval seemed to benefit Quins and they scored a quick converted try to take the lead, but Chippenham hit back as Palmer got his second try, with Alcorn’s kick levelling it up once more.

A barnstorming run from Brad Doggett, converted by Alcorn, saw Chippenham sneak back in front, but Quins replied to draw level again with a converted try.

However, Chippenham had the better of the feisty closing stages and tries from Matt Daw and Connor Beer, both converted by Alcorn, saw them snatch the win.

Marlborough were unable to follow up the superb effort that saw them end leaders Newbury Blues’ unbeaten start to the season last time out as they went down 24-19 at Old Centralians.

The home side were first to strike with a converted try, but Marlborough came back and Pio Tuwai’s touchdown got them on the scoreboard, although Jake Williams was unable to convert.

Not long afterwards, Mitieli Vulkijapani set off from inside the Marlborough 22 to race clear of the defence and over the whitewash. Williams converted this time.

A penalty saw Cents trim the gap, but a string of Marlborough scrum drives in the dying minutes of the first half were rewarded with a penalty try to give the visitors a 19-10 lead at half-time.

Having already lost captain Jamie Pittams to injury, the second period did not go to plan for Marlborough.

There were numerous missed tackles and questionable decisions by the team, and Cents did not allow those to go by unpunished.

They trimmed the gap to 19-17 through a penalty try after Semisi Rasivo was sent to the sin-bin.

Two points up but a man down, the contest became much harder for Marlborough, and in the final two minutes, Cents were broke through the defence for a match-winning converted try.

Finally, Royal Wootton Bassett went down 22-17 at Beaconsfield.