TROWBRIDGE remain on two wins in South West One East in 2019 after going down 29-12 at Witney on Saturday.

The Doric Park side’s only victories in eight matches since the turn of the year have come at Oxford Harlequins and, most recently, at home to Stratford Upon Avon on February 16.

Dan Jeffries’ side are fourth from bottom in the table, but defeat for county rivals Swindon at the weekend has all but secured their safety against relegation.

Trowbridge are 22 points above second-bottom Swindon, with only 20 points available over the final four rounds of fixtures.

Elsewhere, Oli Alcorn’s last-gasp kick saw Chippenham snatch a 15-14 win at home to local rivals Royal Wootton Bassett despite playing the entire second half a man down.

The visitors made the brighter start and Chippenham were forced to defend in their own 22 for the first 10 minutes, with Bassett eventually making the breakthrough with a Tom Fieldsend penalty.

Chippenham upped the pressure on the Bassett defence and set-piece, with a loose pass pounced on by Alcorn to run 60m to the tryline and convert himself.

However, the visitors were soon back on the front foot and another Fieldsend penalty cut the gap to 7-6.

Chippenham enjoyed a good spell after that and quick thinking from Jacob Unwin saw him take a quick tap penalty close to the Bassett line, with the ball supplied to Charlie Palmer for a walk-in try.

Despite being six points up, Chippenham would head into the changing rooms knowing they faced an uphill struggle in the second half as they would play the rest of the game with 14 men after Ben Riley was sent off.

Although the hosts defended resiliently, Bassett were able to break though as Chris Patterson scored a try in the corner to bring his side back in it at 12-11.

The man advantage was beginning to show and after hammering away at the Chippenham line, Bassett settled for penalty which Fieldsend slotted to put them in front.

The last 20 minutes went back and forth but Chippenham were able to galvanise themselves for a grandstand finish. When Bassett gave away a penalty just left of the posts, Alcorn calmly slotted the ball through with the last kick of the game to snatch the win.

Elsewhere, Marlborough are the highest-placed Wiltshire team in the table, sitting fourth after a 27-13 win at home to Oxford Harlequins.

Quins got the first points on the board via a penalty but Marlborough responded with sustained pressure. A penalty was sent to the corner and the lineout was driven over the tryline as Tevita Kiurutuba claimed the score, converted by Harry Jackson.

Despite more strong play, Marlborough were stopped in their tracks when Kiurutuba was sent off for a high tackle, allowing Oxford to build pressure for the remainder of the half.

Quins soon broke through the Marlborough line and although a try-scoring chance was spurned by a dropped ball, a penalty cut the gap to one point.

However, Marlborough reasserted their dominance with the last play of the half as Jackson scored a superb solo try. Picking up the ball in his own half, he stormed down the wing and barged his way past a tackler and duly converted to make it 14-6 at the break.

The early stages of the second half were broken up by stoppages for injuries but Marlborough’s task soon became all the more difficult when Manasa Cakau was shown a yellow card, reducing them to 13 men.

Although Jackson was able to relieve the pressure with a long-range penalty, Oxford soon hit back and tore and up the pitch to score a neat converted try and bring the score back to 17-13.

Back up to 14 men for the final 10 minutes, Marlborough finished strongly and although they had a try disallowed following a 5m scrum, Jackson was able to extend the lead with a penalty.

And Jackson then had a hand in finally killing the game off, breaking the line before the ball travelled from Avenai Cakaunitavuki to Pio Tuwai to crash over the line. Suitably, Jackson had the final word with the conversion to complete a 100 per cent day from the tee.