A YEAR on from their Knockout Cup final loss to Corsham CC Wildcats, Box Rovers returned to Hardenhuish Park and at the fifth time of asking, they tasted success as a 2-0 victory over AFC Melksham saw them lift the AM Print & Copy-sponsored competition in the Chippenham & District Sunday League.

Box had the best of the opening exchanges and went close through Adam Shipman and Justin Flowers, whose long-range effort rattled the bar, before Adam Taylor flashed a shot wide. Zack Hillier then landed a free-kick on the top of the Melksham net before Box keeper Dave Cardus denied Danny Harrison.

Box finally broke Melksham’s resilience when Justin Flowers scored from the penalty spot after Derek Wheeler had felled Alex Hillier in the area. Rovers should have made it 2-0 just before half-time but Shipman blasted over the top.

The second half began with Melksham on the front foot and they thought they should have had a penalty for a handball, and almost immediately, Box went up the other end and Adam Mitchell doubled the lead.

Winning captain Jon Bazley accepted the trophy from Andy Meaden, from sponsors AM Print & Copy, while the player of the match award was presented to Box’s Mitchell.

Premier Division

HAVING opened their league campaign with a 2-1 victory at home to Bath Road, Semington were looking bring the curtain down on the season with another triumph over the WG Parr Trophy winners.

In what was the final top-flight game of the campaign, the roles were reversed as Road secured a 2-1 win thanks to goals from Matt Spear and Matt Harvey. Dan Rimmer bagged Semington’s consolation.

Division One

PRIOR to their final league outing of the season, champions Bromham received the winner’s trophy from league president Ken Clarke.

Having secured the title over a month ago, the visit of Kingfisher was a formality as Bromham prevailed 4-1 to complete their 20-match season unbeaten.

Joe Walker, Charles Street and an Ed Summers double put Bromham 4-0 ahead before Luke Carr thumped home a consolation for the Fishermen.

Having already clinched runners-up spot, Faded beat New Inn Wacker for a second week running, triumphing 4-2 this time around.

Faded trailed 2-0 to a Sean Horobin double but got themselves back in the game prior to half-time when Zack Manna scored from the penalty spot.

A second from Manna saw parity restored in the second half, before Billal Karmouni edged Faded ahead and Manna completed his hat-trick late on.

After the game, league discipline secretary Geoff Thompson presented the runners-up trophy and mementoes to Faded.

The Foresters Arms played hosts to Fox & Hounds looking for a victory that would leave them with a mid-table finish, however, it was the visitors who were celebrating as a 4-1 success saw them finish third.

A Justin Preece penalty and a first of the morning for Jayson Stokes put Fox & Hounds 2-0 up at half-time. Stokes netted a further two in the second period to claim a hat-trick, while Sean Meer replied for Foresters.

Division Two

WORTON & Cheverell went into their final game of the season knowing victory over Sporting Box would give them the title ahead of Lion & Fiddle, who started the day in pole position following their own 6-2 midweek success over Sporting.

Fiddle had done all they could do on Thursday night as two goals each for Jordan Pinder and Steve Knight, plus a goal each for Leon Greenland and Tom Blackman earned them the points to take them to the summit, with Morgan Summerfield and James Weymouth replying.

However, the victory was to count for nothing as a 4-1 win for Worton on Sunday handed them the title on goal difference.

Luke Enderby’s goal for Worton separated the teams at the break before Wayne House made certain of the win with a second-half treble. Mike Pattemore was the lone marksman for Sporting.