TROWBRIDGE endured a tough day on their trip to county rivals Marlborough in South West One East on Saturday as they fell to a heavy 50-7 defeat.

The visitors actually started the brighter and scored a converted try inside the opening five minutes for the first points of the day.

Marlborough took a while to to warm up, but once they had, they played with style to run in three quick tries through Will Grant, Callum Hunt and Jack Lynd, although Grant was only able to add one conversion.

Trowbridge upped the ante and applied pressure to a rejuvenated Marlborough side but the home defence held out extremely well as captain Lynd led from the front.

There was one more score just before half-time as Widen Robanakadavu broke through numerous tackles to cross in the corner, with Grant’s conversion making it 24-7 at the break.

The second half started as the first had finished, with Marlborough taking control and playing some exceptional and entertaining rugby as Solomone Aniseko scored two superb tries on his debut, one converted by Grant.

Another newcomer to Marlborough this season is Ben Broadhall and he scored a fine individual try with a run from just outside Trowbridge’s 22, again converted by Grant.

Not to be outdone, Jimmy Adams also finished with a superb try set up by Amori Nailago, as another Grant kick brought Marlborough’s points tally to 50.

The only blemish on the hosts’ performance was the red card shown to Solomone Aniseko for a high tackle.

Elsewhere, Chippenham made it two wins from two on home turf as they overcame Wimborne 19-8.

The hosts had the slight slope at Allington Fields to their advantage in the first half and were soon showing their pace to put pressure on the Wimborne defence.

It was not long before Oli Alcorn carved a lovely line to score the opening try, with Tom Douglas adding the conversion.

This sparked Wimborne into action and a good break saw them score a try in the corner despite an excellent covering tackle from Sean Johnson.

Penalties had started to creep into Chippenham’s game and a kick allowed Wimborne to move 8-7 ahead.

The hosts soon got themselves going again and the back-line stretched Wimborne’s defence as Johnson scored in the corner.

The pace in the Chippenham backs was soon causing problems for the visitors once more as a good break from Alcorn was finished off by Nat Parkes, with Douglas’ kick pushing the advantage to 19-8 at half-time.

The weather and the pace took their toll as Chippenham turned around to play up the slope in the second half.

The hosts played for territory and showed excellent game management and strong defensive work.

Chippenham were unlucky not to increase their lead after creating an overlap but the ball was spilled at the final moment.

The pace remained high but so did the error count and neither team was able to add to the scoreboard in the second period as Chippenham held firm for the victory.

Royal Wootton Bassett had to go on the road this weekend but it did not halt their 100 per cent start to the season as they claimed a 32-5 win at Oxford Harlequins.

Bassett have 15 points from a possible 15 this term – a haul only matched by Banbury.