TROWBRIDGE had to make do with a bonus point in defeat as they turned in a fine performance at Sherborne before eventually going down 18-16.

The Doric Park side were hunting a second win in a row in South West One East – and just a third of the campaign overall.

Although they showed plenty of spirit in the soggy weather conditions, Trowbridge were forced to settle for a solitary league point for their efforts.

Elsewhere, it was a tough day for Chippenham as they were thumped 29-0 away at title-chasing Old Centralians.

Appalling conditions confined Royal Wootton Bassett to a draw at Banbury as Alan Low’s in-form side were made to pay for a series of handling errors.

Bassett had won all eight of their previous games but were denied victory for the first time this season as Banbury – a team also in the promotion hunt – held Low’s side to a 6-6 draw.

Understandably – owing to the miserable weather conditions – the game was not for rugby purists.

However, Bassett butchered two chances in the opening five minutes. One try-scoring attempt was held up before another effort was forced into touch.

Similarly, three kicks at the posts were squandered before the visitors had a ball held up when over the tryline in the second half.

Bassett head coach Low described the 6-6 score as a fair reflection of the game, but he made no secret of the fact that his team left points out on the pitch.

He said: “We had chances to win the game, and a couple of decisions went against us in the second half.

“Credit to Banbury and to the way our boys played too because the conditions were terrible.

“You only had to watch the Premiership highlights to understand how poor conditions were at the weekend.

“If Premiership players are struggling with their handling, then you can understand how hard it is in community rugby."

Elsewhere, Marlborough extended their winning run to a third league game with a 22-13 success at home to Windsor.

The weather conditions did not lend themselves to playing good rugby and the first half was an extremely scrappy affair, with numerous handling errors and just one score as Windsor led 5-0 thanks to an unconverted try.

There was a big improvement from Marlborough in the second half as the likes of Fa’ao Filise, Jake Williams and Henry Webster all came on to bring experience to the side.

Shortly after the restart, Jimmy Adams was able to level the scores with a well-worked try, although the conversion was missed.

Windsor swiftly hit back with another unconverted try of their own following a handling error from the home side.

Marlborough soon upped their game and Jack Lynd scored a try off the back of a maul, although this was again unconverted and the scores were level once more.

The home side then got their noses in front when Williams scored an excellent opportunist try when Windsor seemed to be sleeping. Mac Lewis was able to add the extras this time.

Windsor closed the gap with a penalty, meaning just four points separated the sides in the closing stages.

Marlborough were able to put the result to bed in the final attack of the game was Adams scored his second try with a fine finish.

Although the conversion was missed once more, it mattered little to the hosts come the final whistle.