Swindon Town’s rough patch continued as they let a lead slip to lose 3-1 on the road against Colchester in League Two.

Jake Young’s 11th goal of the season gave Swindon the lead at the break after a half in which they had been in control of the flow, even if they had not troubled the goalkeeper all that often.

However, goals after the break from Cameron McGeehan, Samson Tovide, and Noah Chilvers turned the game on its head and left Swindon with nothing.

Swindon now have just one win in their last seven games in League Two and remain three points outside of the play-off places having now played their game in hand.

Wiltshire Times: Kemp running with the ballKemp running with the ball (Image: Callum Knowles)

Michael Flynn made two changes from the side that had crashed out of the FA Cup so spectacularly three days earlier. Saidou Khan missed out due to suspension and Harrison Minturn dropped to the bench. Liam Kinsella and Young came into the line-up in their stead and Jaxon Brown was included in a matchday squad in the league for the first time since Forest Green.

Swindon opted to make a cautious start to proceedings, just keeping hold of possession and growing their confidence. Their first chance of any description came when Kinsella won a header in midfield, and Young laid the ball off for Remeao Hutton, but his left-footed strike went over the top after eight minutes.

Town had controlled the ball early on, but the hosts were still providing a threat on the break. Samson Tovide got the ball on the left after 16 minutes and had the beating of Udoka Godwin-Malife. He looked to cross low towards Joe Taylor, but Tom Brewitt was in position to clear.

Remeao Hutton had the ball on the wing and cut inside Jayden Fevrier, before clipping a cross into the middle. He found Charlie Austin unmarked on the penalty spot, but his header drifted wide of the far post.

Wiltshire Times: Young fires home the openerYoung fires home the opener (Image: Callum Knowles)

The breakthrough arrived on 23 minutes when Young received the ball in the centre, sold a defender with a well-timed dummy and then opened up his body to drill the ball into the bottom corner. Town had been the better side in the early stages, but that goal was big for their collective confidence.

The goal completely changed Colchester’s plan and they came right out of their shells. They began to push high and harry Swindon, and brought the crowd with them. Chances were still at a premium with the best coming when Tovide got the ball in the box and saw his effort deflected behind for a corner.

After 38 minutes Godwin-Malife drove into space and played Hutton in behind Colchester. He got to the by-line and played a cross into Shade, whose shot was quickly blocked. Town recycled possession and Young tried his luck from range, but Owen Goodman made a good save to deny him.

Wiltshire Times: Austin challenging with a defenderAustin challenging with a defender (Image: Callum Knowles)

Swindon had the lead at the break and would be largely pleased with the opening 45 as they had the bulk of possession and Murphy Mahoney had not really been called into action. They had not been at their incisive best with the ball, but they had laid a foundation to build upon after the break.

Colchester levelled almost straight away after the break. Swindon switched off from a throw-in, allowing a cross to come across the face of goal and strike Cameron McGeehan and go into the back of the net.

The game was quiet for a period after the goal before Tyrese Shade did well on the left to create space for a cutback. Young came onto the ball but was reaching a little bit and his shot went wide of the far post.

Wiltshire Times: Shade on the wingShade on the wing (Image: Callum Knowles)

Two minutes later Swindon got muddled up from a goal kick and Tom Brewitt and Liam Kinsella had to throw themselves in front of the ball to prevent Tovide from having a strong sight of goal. The home fans wanted a penalty against Kinsella, but the referee did not give it.

The hosts completed their turnaround after 64 minutes as Swindon were caught with too many bodies forward, allowing Jay Mingi to run into an ocean of space in midfield. He played the ball out to Will Greenidge, and his low cross went straight into the path of Tovide, who made no mistake.

Wiltshire Times: Godwin-Malife drives forwardGodwin-Malife drives forward (Image: Callum Knowles)

On 76 minutes Dan Kemp managed to escape his marker and find space at the top of the box, he drilled a shot low across goal, but it whistled wide of the post.

As Town pushed for an equaliser, substitute Rushian Hepburn-Murphy stole in behind the back line and as he was steadying himself to finish, a defender dove back in with a perfectly timed tackle to stop the chance in its tracks.

Chilvers then raced away in stoppage time, before tucking his shot under Murphy Mahoney to put the game on ice.

Wiltshire Times: McEachran in possessionMcEachran in possession (Image: Callum Knowles)

After a promising first half, Town have now lost their last four matches across all competitions and have not won away from home since Forest Green back in August. They attempted to put Colchester under pressure, but were unable to consistently find a way beyond the stubborn defence.

CUFC starting XI: Goodman, Greenidge, Hall, Tovide, McGeehan, Mitchell, Read, Egbo, Mingi, Taylor, Fevrier.

CUFC substitutes: Hornby, Dallison, Jay, Chilvers, Hopper, Cooper, Ihionvien.

STFC starting XI: Mahoney, Hutton, Blake-Tracy, McEachran, Young, Kemp, Brewitt, Godwin-Malife, Kinsella, Shade, Austin.

STFC substitutes: L. Ward, Hepburn-Murphy, Genesini, Minturn, Brown, Hart, Hubbard.

Attendance: 3,455 (370 away).