CHIPPENHAM Town needed a dramatic last-minute winner to see them past Chelmsford City as they edged out a 3-2 victory.

Mark Collier’s side stormed into a 2-0 first-half lead at Hardenhuish Park against the Essex side, who went into the game in sitting in third place, thanks to goals from David Pratt and Scott Twine.

Pratt was the first on the scoresheet when he poked home from close range after latching onto a long throw in before on-loan Twine drilled the ball home with a fine left-footed strike.

“Our best win of the year was against Bath City but his was a good performance against one of the in-from teams and one of the pre-season title favourites,” he said.

“To score three was particularly pleasing, the first half especially because we were in control of the game.

“We got a good foothold in the game and scored two good goals, Pratt got the first from a routine throw and young Twine got the other with a great strike from his left foot.

“It was a commanding performance in the first half and I was disappointed for us not to go in with it being 3-0 because we had a block on the line which was a clear handball.

“I thought they would come at us in the second half and that is exactly what they did.”

High-flying Chelmsford were able to make the most of Chippenham’s inability to get a third goal, as Michael Spillane halved the deficit in the 57th minute from the penalty spot, before Chris Dickinson grabbed an 88th-minute equaliser.

However, the Bluebirds had the last laugh when Will Richards rose the highest to nod home a winner in injury time.

“They scored a penalty and we gave away a sloppy goal, so we had our backs to the wall a little bit,” he added.

“They really pushed and they managed to get an equaliser but we showed them resolved and desire before Will came up with the winner.

“It was a great game for the large crowd, defensively were disappointed to concede two sloppy goals.

“But to go toe-to-toe with one of the biggest team’s in the league should give us a bit of confidence.

“It was a stressful afternoon because we knew that 2-0 is a difficult score to manage, they made some changes and came at us too.

“When they equalised, they were the dominant team it was fairy-tale cup football really and I think if someone asked us about 3-2 at the start of the game, we would’ve taken it.”