Wiltshire Fire Service issue Chinese Lantern warning

Wiltshire Times: Wiltshire Fire Service issue Chinese Lantern warning Wiltshire Fire Service issue Chinese Lantern warning

Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service is again warning people about the dangers of Chinese lanterns, ahead of the New Year celebrations.

Chinese lanterns, also known as wish or flying lanterns, have become increasingly popular worldwide as a means of celebrating special occasions.

The lanterns, though, can carry a significant risk of fire or injury if not used wisely.

Area Manager John Popowicz said: “With Chinese lanterns, you’re basically throwing a naked flame into the sky with no control over the direction it will take or where it will land – in addition, there is no guarantee that the fuel source will be fully extinguished and cooled when the lantern eventually descends, and that presents a real fire hazard.”

He added: “Chinese lanterns are very attractive when they’re in the sky, and we fully understand why people use them. We would just urge anyone who’s thinking of buying some to celebrate New Year to think very carefully about where they will be released.”

Locations that should be considered unsuitable for flying lanterns include areas with standing crops, anywhere near buildings with thatched roofs, areas of dense woodland and areas of heath or bracken, especially in dry conditions. Consideration should also be given to the proximity to major roads or airfields.

An advice sheet on the use of Chinese lanterns is available at www.wiltsfire.gov.uk

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:10pm Mon 30 Dec 13

frankie007 says...

Be especially careful folks 'cause we're going on strike again. Will anybody notice this time??
Be especially careful folks 'cause we're going on strike again. Will anybody notice this time?? frankie007

5:50pm Mon 30 Dec 13

beetawix says...

another year passes and these anti-social things are still not banned.
another year passes and these anti-social things are still not banned. beetawix

8:24pm Mon 30 Dec 13

frankie007 says...

It needs a few people to die before they'll do anything about them. Either that or an MP's duck house to get burnt down by one of them.
It needs a few people to die before they'll do anything about them. Either that or an MP's duck house to get burnt down by one of them. frankie007

8:13pm Thu 2 Jan 14

frankie007 says...

Another non event then. Will they ever realise that they're just being taken for a ride by their union bosses?
Another non event then. Will they ever realise that they're just being taken for a ride by their union bosses? frankie007

10:10pm Fri 3 Jan 14

Ray Vasey says...

frankie007 I just trawled through some of your posts. Not blessed with too much intelligence are you? Now, I'd hazard a guess that you are middle aged, no job, claim benefits, sit in front of a computer screen all day bullying kids on Call of Duty. Posting the odd irrelevant comment about Pension Strikes on a Chinese lantern article. You have beef with the Fire Service probably because you wanted to join but we're rejected probably because you could not fill out the application correctly. Bet I'm not a million miles off am I?
Why don't you put that controller down for a day and spend it with the Police, Fire or Ambulance staff. All of whom do a fantastic job. Maybe a glimpse of the tragedies of life will help you gain a new found appreciation of reality outside of Modern Warfare 3. These people make a difference to 1000s of lives a year. Have you made a difference to anyone in you lifetime? I somehow doubt it.
frankie007 I just trawled through some of your posts. Not blessed with too much intelligence are you? Now, I'd hazard a guess that you are middle aged, no job, claim benefits, sit in front of a computer screen all day bullying kids on Call of Duty. Posting the odd irrelevant comment about Pension Strikes on a Chinese lantern article. You have beef with the Fire Service probably because you wanted to join but we're rejected probably because you could not fill out the application correctly. Bet I'm not a million miles off am I? Why don't you put that controller down for a day and spend it with the Police, Fire or Ambulance staff. All of whom do a fantastic job. Maybe a glimpse of the tragedies of life will help you gain a new found appreciation of reality outside of Modern Warfare 3. These people make a difference to 1000s of lives a year. Have you made a difference to anyone in you lifetime? I somehow doubt it. Ray Vasey

8:04am Sat 4 Jan 14

frankie007 says...

Ray Vasey wrote:
frankie007 I just trawled through some of your posts. Not blessed with too much intelligence are you? Now, I'd hazard a guess that you are middle aged, no job, claim benefits, sit in front of a computer screen all day bullying kids on Call of Duty. Posting the odd irrelevant comment about Pension Strikes on a Chinese lantern article. You have beef with the Fire Service probably because you wanted to join but we're rejected probably because you could not fill out the application correctly. Bet I'm not a million miles off am I?
Why don't you put that controller down for a day and spend it with the Police, Fire or Ambulance staff. All of whom do a fantastic job. Maybe a glimpse of the tragedies of life will help you gain a new found appreciation of reality outside of Modern Warfare 3. These people make a difference to 1000s of lives a year. Have you made a difference to anyone in you lifetime? I somehow doubt it.
I'm surprised & flattered that you should take such an interest in me, although not in the least surprised that you manage to draw such totally wrong conclusions.
I'm intelligent enough to differentiate between "we're" and were.
Age, job, benefits, wrong.
Too busy for & no interest in computer games. The last one I played was Ridge Racer, which I am reliably informed by the gaming fraternity is regarded as a quaint antique.
My posts are generally relevant to the article concerned.
I have no beef with the fire service, only with the union bosses who claim to be "working" for their members whilst drawing salaries that they could never hope to achieve in the real world of work. How much money do they lose when telling their members to strike?
This will come as a shock to you, but not everyone wants to be an engine driver or a fireman, therefore we're not all familiar with the application form.
I wouldn't even know where to find the controller.
I don't need to spend a day with any of the emergency services to know that they do a fantastic "job", as do bin men, bricklayers & janitors. I don't believe that I have ever suggested otherwise.
As for appreciating reality outside of Modern Warfare 3, (I take it that's another computer game), you seem to have a far more comprehensive knowledge of these things than I.
Many of us make a difference to thousands of lives a year without shouting about it and whinging, or paying someone else to whinge on our behalf, about the rewards we get for so doing. Indeed, we get no reward at all, other than the satisfaction of knowing we made a difference.
Well done you.
[quote][p][bold]Ray Vasey[/bold] wrote: frankie007 I just trawled through some of your posts. Not blessed with too much intelligence are you? Now, I'd hazard a guess that you are middle aged, no job, claim benefits, sit in front of a computer screen all day bullying kids on Call of Duty. Posting the odd irrelevant comment about Pension Strikes on a Chinese lantern article. You have beef with the Fire Service probably because you wanted to join but we're rejected probably because you could not fill out the application correctly. Bet I'm not a million miles off am I? Why don't you put that controller down for a day and spend it with the Police, Fire or Ambulance staff. All of whom do a fantastic job. Maybe a glimpse of the tragedies of life will help you gain a new found appreciation of reality outside of Modern Warfare 3. These people make a difference to 1000s of lives a year. Have you made a difference to anyone in you lifetime? I somehow doubt it.[/p][/quote]I'm surprised & flattered that you should take such an interest in me, although not in the least surprised that you manage to draw such totally wrong conclusions. I'm intelligent enough to differentiate between "we're" and were. Age, job, benefits, wrong. Too busy for & no interest in computer games. The last one I played was Ridge Racer, which I am reliably informed by the gaming fraternity is regarded as a quaint antique. My posts are generally relevant to the article concerned. I have no beef with the fire service, only with the union bosses who claim to be "working" for their members whilst drawing salaries that they could never hope to achieve in the real world of work. How much money do they lose when telling their members to strike? This will come as a shock to you, but not everyone wants to be an engine driver or a fireman, therefore we're not all familiar with the application form. I wouldn't even know where to find the controller. I don't need to spend a day with any of the emergency services to know that they do a fantastic "job", as do bin men, bricklayers & janitors. I don't believe that I have ever suggested otherwise. As for appreciating reality outside of Modern Warfare 3, (I take it that's another computer game), you seem to have a far more comprehensive knowledge of these things than I. Many of us make a difference to thousands of lives a year without shouting about it and whinging, or paying someone else to whinge on our behalf, about the rewards we get for so doing. Indeed, we get no reward at all, other than the satisfaction of knowing we made a difference. Well done you. frankie007

11:46am Sat 4 Jan 14

politepanda says...

Another cost-saving exercise.
"Please don't worry - if you're not fit enough to carry out the sometimes extremely physically challenging role of fore officer at age 64 - we won't sack you".
Yeah - right.
Once they can't consistently hit the capabilities of a 30yr old - they'll be out the door - no pension and no sympathy.
Note they're all working hard to slate the fire officers for even CONTEMPLATING taking action to protect their futures.
Or do we believe that they really shouldn't be able to....?
Seems some of us do.
Another cost-saving exercise. "Please don't worry - if you're not fit enough to carry out the sometimes extremely physically challenging role of fore officer at age 64 - we won't sack you". Yeah - right. Once they can't consistently hit the capabilities of a 30yr old - they'll be out the door - no pension and no sympathy. Note they're all working hard to slate the fire officers for even CONTEMPLATING taking action to protect their futures. Or do we believe that they really shouldn't be able to....? Seems some of us do. politepanda

12:21pm Sat 4 Jan 14

Mrs Donnyfly says...

Ray Vasey ranted... "frankie007 I just trawled through some of your posts. Not blessed with too much intelligence are you?"

Whereas a rant contained wholly of assumptions about a complete stranger's personality and lifestyle choices just bristles with intellect.
Ray Vasey ranted... "frankie007 I just trawled through some of your posts. Not blessed with too much intelligence are you?" Whereas a rant contained wholly of assumptions about a complete stranger's personality and lifestyle choices just bristles with intellect. Mrs Donnyfly

1:09pm Sat 4 Jan 14

frankie007 says...

politepanda, what action are they CONTEMPLATING to protect their futures?

Going on strike?

I recommend asking a few ex coal miners about the merits of that.
politepanda, what action are they CONTEMPLATING to protect their futures? Going on strike? I recommend asking a few ex coal miners about the merits of that. frankie007

1:31pm Sat 4 Jan 14

politepanda says...

frankie007 wrote:
politepanda, what action are they CONTEMPLATING to protect their futures?

Going on strike?

I recommend asking a few ex coal miners about the merits of that.
Attempting to stop the forced changes to the terms and conditions of current contracts - you don't think that's worth fighting for?. OK - so change the contracts for all new employees - so they know exactly what they're signing on for.
But honour the existing contracts.
And what is the correlation between honouring existing terms and conditions of fire fighters contracts and ex coal miners?
[quote][p][bold]frankie007[/bold] wrote: politepanda, what action are they CONTEMPLATING to protect their futures? Going on strike? I recommend asking a few ex coal miners about the merits of that.[/p][/quote]Attempting to stop the forced changes to the terms and conditions of current contracts - you don't think that's worth fighting for?. OK - so change the contracts for all new employees - so they know exactly what they're signing on for. But honour the existing contracts. And what is the correlation between honouring existing terms and conditions of fire fighters contracts and ex coal miners? politepanda

8:57pm Sat 4 Jan 14

frankie007 says...

Ok if I have to explain. Somebody convinced the miners that going on strike would secure their future. Actually, they were right in as much as it secured their futures as EX miners.

|All promises made by previous governments have been reneged on by this & the last lot.

Everyone's pension has been hammered or stolen

Health Service free at the point of use, unless you happen to have a toothache or need glasses, hearing aid or a prescription. They now want to charge for a visit to A & E.

Free education, so long as you get yourself into serious debt to pay for uni.

Why should firemen be any different to the rest of us?

What sane person fights a battle he knows he can't win?
Ok if I have to explain. Somebody convinced the miners that going on strike would secure their future. Actually, they were right in as much as it secured their futures as EX miners. |All promises made by previous governments have been reneged on by this & the last lot. Everyone's pension has been hammered or stolen Health Service free at the point of use, unless you happen to have a toothache or need glasses, hearing aid or a prescription. They now want to charge for a visit to A & E. Free education, so long as you get yourself into serious debt to pay for uni. Why should firemen be any different to the rest of us? What sane person fights a battle he knows he can't win? frankie007

10:38pm Sat 4 Jan 14

politepanda says...

Hey fella - if there's nothing worth fighting for in your life - never mind. If you believe it is your obligation to accept whatever change is pushed your way without complaint - so be it.
But if you believe that because one man has had his pension rifled - his rights reduced to nothing - then we should all face the same - I truly hope you're on your own.
No-one is looking for insane pay rises (that is - apart from politicians and councillors) why shouldn't people expect their contracts to be honoured?
The employees have fulfilled THEIR side of the contract - now the employer must do the same.
The coal miners were led into strike after strike to increase their basic pay - their leaders pretended it would secure their future - they didn't strike to secure the terms and conditions of contracts already signed.
Do you seriously believe that EVERYONE has had their pension hammered or stolen? I suggest you look at the pension prospects of our politicians and those who work within the lucrative higher offices of government. Are our bankers suffering from pillaged pensions? Those who sit at the helm of the companies known to be expert at tax avoidance - will they be short of a few quid? Perhaps not
No - the average Joe is paying through the nose to live and work in the UK.
Should we just accept that - being neither politician, banker or celebrity - we don't have the right to ask for a future?
Bring back the 1930's, eh?
Teach the populace not to ask or expect? I don't think so.
Hey fella - if there's nothing worth fighting for in your life - never mind. If you believe it is your obligation to accept whatever change is pushed your way without complaint - so be it. But if you believe that because one man has had his pension rifled - his rights reduced to nothing - then we should all face the same - I truly hope you're on your own. No-one is looking for insane pay rises (that is - apart from politicians and councillors) why shouldn't people expect their contracts to be honoured? The employees have fulfilled THEIR side of the contract - now the employer must do the same. The coal miners were led into strike after strike to increase their basic pay - their leaders pretended it would secure their future - they didn't strike to secure the terms and conditions of contracts already signed. Do you seriously believe that EVERYONE has had their pension hammered or stolen? I suggest you look at the pension prospects of our politicians and those who work within the lucrative higher offices of government. Are our bankers suffering from pillaged pensions? Those who sit at the helm of the companies known to be expert at tax avoidance - will they be short of a few quid? Perhaps not No - the average Joe is paying through the nose to live and work in the UK. Should we just accept that - being neither politician, banker or celebrity - we don't have the right to ask for a future? Bring back the 1930's, eh? Teach the populace not to ask or expect? I don't think so. politepanda

12:29pm Sun 5 Jan 14

frankie007 says...

politepanda, I'm addressing you as a fireman which may or may not be the case.
I agree with most of what you say, but what has striking got you so far? A lighter pay packet at the end of the month?
Has anybody noticed?
Has anybody not had their fire put out?
Has anybody not been cut out of their car after an RTA?
Do you really believe that our masters aren't already thinking that maybe we've got too many firemen as we've managed fine without the strikers?
For a strike to have any chance of being effective, someone has to suffer, but as soon as one person dies because you were on strike, or the government can persuade people that that was the reason, they'll have the propaganda machine whipping a frenzy of hatred against you.
When that happens, do you really think that the average Joe on a zero hours contract for basic wage & a crap pension to look forward to when he reaches 70 is going to have a lot of sympathy for you?
politepanda, I'm addressing you as a fireman which may or may not be the case. I agree with most of what you say, but what has striking got you so far? A lighter pay packet at the end of the month? Has anybody noticed? Has anybody not had their fire put out? Has anybody not been cut out of their car after an RTA? Do you really believe that our masters aren't already thinking that maybe we've got too many firemen as we've managed fine without the strikers? For a strike to have any chance of being effective, someone has to suffer, but as soon as one person dies because you were on strike, or the government can persuade people that that was the reason, they'll have the propaganda machine whipping a frenzy of hatred against you. When that happens, do you really think that the average Joe on a zero hours contract for basic wage & a crap pension to look forward to when he reaches 70 is going to have a lot of sympathy for you? frankie007

12:13pm Mon 6 Jan 14

politepanda says...

frankie007 wrote:
politepanda, I'm addressing you as a fireman which may or may not be the case.
I agree with most of what you say, but what has striking got you so far? A lighter pay packet at the end of the month?
Has anybody noticed?
Has anybody not had their fire put out?
Has anybody not been cut out of their car after an RTA?
Do you really believe that our masters aren't already thinking that maybe we've got too many firemen as we've managed fine without the strikers?
For a strike to have any chance of being effective, someone has to suffer, but as soon as one person dies because you were on strike, or the government can persuade people that that was the reason, they'll have the propaganda machine whipping a frenzy of hatred against you.
When that happens, do you really think that the average Joe on a zero hours contract for basic wage & a crap pension to look forward to when he reaches 70 is going to have a lot of sympathy for you?
So - rather than make any protest - you'd simply doff your cap and accept whatever is decided is best for you?
Good luck.
[quote][p][bold]frankie007[/bold] wrote: politepanda, I'm addressing you as a fireman which may or may not be the case. I agree with most of what you say, but what has striking got you so far? A lighter pay packet at the end of the month? Has anybody noticed? Has anybody not had their fire put out? Has anybody not been cut out of their car after an RTA? Do you really believe that our masters aren't already thinking that maybe we've got too many firemen as we've managed fine without the strikers? For a strike to have any chance of being effective, someone has to suffer, but as soon as one person dies because you were on strike, or the government can persuade people that that was the reason, they'll have the propaganda machine whipping a frenzy of hatred against you. When that happens, do you really think that the average Joe on a zero hours contract for basic wage & a crap pension to look forward to when he reaches 70 is going to have a lot of sympathy for you?[/p][/quote]So - rather than make any protest - you'd simply doff your cap and accept whatever is decided is best for you? Good luck. politepanda

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree