Get involved! Send photos, video, news & views. Text WILTS TIMES to 80360 or email us
Neighbours' boost for elderly Trowbridge blaze victims
5:20pm Thursday 19th December 2013 in Trowbridge
Neighbours in Weavers Drive, Trowbridge, once again showed their support for residents hit by a bungalow fire last month with a fundraising bingo night on Saturday.
Along with residents of the complex they donated gifts for the evening, at Longfield Community Centre.
This raised £956.70 towards the Weavers Raising For Roy’s Residents fund, bringing the fund’s total to £2,500.
The fire, caused by an electrical fault, destroyed the bungalow of warden Roy Lovelock and the roof of June White’s bungalow next door, causing smoke damage throughout.
Mr Lovelock and Mrs White were moved to a bed and breakfast in Trow-bridge, but have now been moved into local rented accommodation by Anchor, the housing provider.
James McDonald, chair of Longmeadow Tenants and Residents Association, said: “The money will buy white goods, carpets, decorating and things they need when they move back in.
“People in neighbouring bungalows have also been so generous.”
Mrs White’s granddaughter Hayley Oakley Westlake, of Hilperton, took her grandmum along to the bingo evening and said: she was looking forward to Christmas in her bungalow but has had lots of gifts to lift her spirits.”
Residents of the complex get together again tomorrow for their Christmas meal organised by Mr Lovelock.
Neighbours will help with the serving while apetito has donated the food, the Civic Centre has donated crockery and Trowbridge Town Council has given the use of Longfield Community Centre for free.
Comments are closed on this article.