CROSSBLADES FC won the battle of the Division Four in-form sides after they overcame Kevin Williams' promotion-chasing Trowbridge Town Supporters Club 2-1 to hand them their first defeat in six games.

For the blades, who were without manager Tim Chilton, the victory moved them up to the dizzy heights of fourth spot.

Ashley Bartels put the hosts ahead after and assist from Mike Booth, a sumptuous lob from Lewis Smith drew the supporters’ level only for a second from Bartels this time after being set up by Carl Jacobi earned the Blades their fifth win in 10 games.

FC North Wiltshire 8 FC United of Chippenham 1

AFTER last week's Subsidiary Cup outing for FC North Wiltshire, the Division Four leaders focus turned back to the league against a FC United of Chippenham side who on their day have proven to be more than capable of getting results.

Both teams started brightly, and the pace and skill of Adam Gerrard was always a concern for North Wilts.

North Wilts' opening goal was scored by Daniel Gilbert who was making a welcome return up front after injury, and his cheeky back-heel trickled across the line after a good cross from Simon Gray. Gray soon got on the score sheet himself to make it 2-0.

At this point FC United showed great courage to pull themselves back into the game. Gerrard scored from a well-placed pass over the top of the North Wilts defence put him through, and moments later was bought down on the edge of the area by Sam Deane, who received a yellow card for the offence.

North Wilts were certainly nervy, but the wise head of Gray took it upon himself to unleash a cracking third goal for North Wilts.

Just before half time FC United were reduced to 10 men after an injury to Jack Hanks left them short since they had no substitutes.

In the second half, the man advantage showed, and North Wilts improved upon their performance. Goals from Gray and Dan Jackson, scoring on his birthday weekend put the game out of reach.

Dan Deacon came on to score from the bench, only to injure himself taking the shot, and so was immediately substituted.

Gray got his fourth of the morning, and Dan Dring scored the goal of the game with a 30 yard shot that left the keeper with no chance.

FC United continued to play good football, and their pace from the wings and up front certainly will stand them in good stead for the future.

Trowbridge Rangers (Sunday) 2 Melksham Cosmos 0

A SECOND win in three games saw Michael Goddard’s Trowbridge Rangers (Sunday) move off the foot of the table and with fellow strugglers Oakhill next up Goddard’s side will have a good chance of getting clear of the bottom two in the next couple of weeks.

A 2-0 victory over Melksham Cosmos saw the visitors to Whaddon Lane dominate the first half without creating anything of note, but Rangers came out for the second half and dominated without looking in trouble at any point.

Sam Miller crossed for Nathan Ball to head home the opener. On the counter attack Ben Cowdrey and Sam Miller worked well to put Matt Gittins through on goal who powered past the helpless goalkeeper for 2-0.

Rangers thought they had scored a third but Alex Redgrave had a headed goal disallowed for an infringement from a set piece, but it didn’t matter as the points were already in the bag.

Worton & Cheverell (Sunday) 1 Sportzcoach Dragonz United 3

SPORTZCOACH Dragonz United kept themselves in the promotion hunt after overcoming a potential banana-skin in the guise of Worton & Cheverell (Sunday) who have twice beaten second-placed Old Road.

But there was no such slip up from Joe Hargreaves side who thanks to a 3-1 closed to within four points of their near rivals but with four games in a hand they have a good chance of catching them up.

A tight first half saw Worton take a lead through Martin Dickinson and with a mind to upset an inform opposition with a scratch team including the old guy Chris Cole in midfield.

Unfortunately, a bright 15-minute second-half revival saw Sportzcoach take all the points.

Paul Cuthbertson levelled before two Marc Bowsher goals killed off a Worton side who paid for missed opportunities where they should have gone in the first half at least three up themselves, those missed chances ultimately cost them the game and points.