Fire crews battled a blaze at a thatched cottage in Stert, near Devizes on Saturday.

But problems started before they even arrived at the house as the lane was too narrow for the fire engine.

A Devizes fire spokesman said: "We were called out to a chimney fire at a thatched property in Stert, along with Melksham Fire Station and the aerial platform from Swindon.

"On arrival it was clear that our appliance couldn't get down the lane to the property so we had to attend by foot carrying all equipment with us.

"Thankfully it hadn't spread to the roof as the logistics of manoeuvring at least 10 other appliances would of been a bit of a headache to say the least. The fire was quickly extinguished using stirrup pump."

Safety information for people living in thatched homes is available at