A WOMAN who reported she had been burned by an unknown substance which she found inside an Amazon delivery has spoken out about the shock of the incident.

In the aftermath of the novichok incidents in Salisbury and Amesbury, over 30 firemen, police, paramedics and specialist units responded to a call on Sunday at 2pm, after the substance found was described as a small amount of white powder. The substance was taken away for testing.

Nadine Flack, 43, of Bremeridge Road, said she found the substance within the pages of a book which she had ordered from the online shopping giant.

She said: “It came in a usual brown envelope like all Amazon packages.

“The pages of the book looked a little greasy. I found a few lumps of white powder in between about three pages and I stupidly touched it.

“I felt my fingers burning, almost like it was a cleaning material. I put the book in the bath and rang the community policing team to see what to do.

“They told me to ring 101 and then an ambulance was sent out for me. I didn’t expect such a big response.

“The shock of it has really taken its toll on me this week but I am uninjured. The emergency services did an amazing job and I can’t thank them enough.”

Fire service manager Damien Bence, who was on the scene, said: “I attended the incident in Bremeridge Road as part of the hazardous material advisor team. “Some of the first response team who attended the Westbury incident also attended Muggleton Road in Amesbury when the nerve agent incident occurred.

“Seeing as there was a casualty, we had to take precautions and make sure it was dealt with correctly from the off. These incidents have the potential to escalate quickly.

“The woman was distressed to open a package and see a substance that she didn’t expect.

“Suspicions are heightened at the moment, and after the warnings issued in the media, she was wary and rightly so.”

A police spokesman said: “The substance was tested by the fire service and found to be non-suspicious.”