BRADFORD Town suffered county cup heartache for the second successive season after they were beaten by Highworth Town in the Wiltshire Senior Cup final.

Second half strikes from Ryan King and Dan Drewett sealed Highworth’s coronation as kings of the county, with Bradford playing more than 30 minutes with ten men.

Premier League referee Lee Probert, who officiated last season’s FA Cup final, lent a helping hand to his local association by taking charge of proceedings at Chippenham Town’s Hardenhuish Park.

After already meeting in the FA Vase this season, the two sides renewed hostilities with silverware on the line.

After a low-key opening, the first real opportunity of the game fell to Bradford striker Sam Jordan, who could only fire into the grateful arms of Gary Stevens after he was played in on goal.

With 23 minutes on the clock, it was Highworth’s turn to threaten as Ash Taylor nodded a looping ball not far over the crossbar after Sam Wadieh headed King’s free-kick back into the danger zone.

Bradford keeper Chris Snoddy made an important block to prevent TJ Bohane getting in on goal whilst Jordan just failed to get a head on full-back Joe Stradling’s delivery as the two teams figured each other out.

On the half-hour mark, Niekell Plummer drew a good save from Stevens with a bouncing strike from outside the area but the scores remained level through to the break.

But just three minutes into the second period, Highworth took the lead as Bohane occupied the attentions of both Bradford centre-backs and the ball broke to midfielder King, who lashed home a fine strike from outside the box.

The team in blue almost hit straight back but Stevens bravely charged down Twaine Plummer and things then went from bad to worse for Bradford as referee Probert brandished a straight red card in the direction of Steve Hulbert following his challenge on goalscorer King.

But just before the hour mark, the ten men did get back on level terms as they worked the ball to Niekell Plummer on the edge of the area and he beat Stevens at his near post with a rasping low effort.

The equaliser gave Bradford renewed hope but a positive spell was soon snuffed out as Highworth made it 2-1.

Substitute Nathan Blackford clipped a ball into the area and opposite winger Drewett arrowed a superb shot across a despairing Snoddy into the bottom left-hand corner.

Bradford could have levelled again when Niekell Plummer again found himself in a shooting position but goalie Stevens stood his ground and was able to kick away the midfielder’s effort.

Highworth broke on the counter but King’s effort was too weak to trouble Snoddy and up the other end, Martin Johnson’s strike from a corner was beaten away by Stevens and Tristan Plummer fired over.

With seven minutes to go, the Worthians could have put the icing on the cake after King cut out Dan Shanley’s pass and sent Bohane racing clear but he volleyed wide of the target whilst Snoddy pulled off a fine save to knock away King’s low effort.

BRADFORD TOWN: Chris Snoddy, Andy Gilbert, Joe Stradling, Dan Shanley, Mike Reaney, Mark Wall, Steve Hulbert, Niekell Plummer, Sam Jordan, Twaine Plummer (C) (Martin Johnson 75), Tristan Plummer.

Subs not used: Ed Baldy, Josh Brigham, Leon Greenland, Ashton Shanley.

HIGWORTH TOWN: Gary Stevens, Kevin Tate, Jonny Aitkenhead, Ashley Taylor, Sam Wadieh, Ryan King, Tony Joyce (Nathan Blackford 45), Jon Davoile (Liam Edmonson 66), TJ Bohane, Callum Parsons, Dan Drewett.

Subs not used: Aaron Maximen, Gary Eggleton, Chris Jackson.