BECAUSE of the schedule in the A&B Cup, no Division One fixtures took place in the Trowbridge Windows and Conservatories-sponsored Trowbridge & District League at the weekend.

However, in Division Two, Staverton United took full advantage of promotion rival KEW PR’s cup commitments by moving to the top of the table following a comprehensive 9-2 win over The Stiffs.

Unbeaten from their opening six games, Staverton lead chasing KEW PR by three points – who are also unbeaten this term in the league but from five games.

Kye Teague and Alex Shaw led the way for the new leaders as both men grabbed a hat-trick. Harry Ledbury, Quinton Barham and Brandon Mould were others to get themselves on the scoresheet.

In Division Two’s only other fixture, Dan Hatcher scored a hat-trick for Aces as they looked to be cruising to a 4-0 win over Barford Hornets with less than a quarter-of-an-hour remaining.

Although the match had to be abandoned, the result was allowed to stand.

A&B Cup

THE remaining action to occur at the weekend came in the A&B Cup second round.

Six fixtures took place, the pick of the bunch proved to be KEW PR’s giant-killing win over Devizes Town Reserves.

PR secured a 4-1 victory – prolific striker David Percival again proved his worth by scoring all of the hosts’ four goals, two of them coming from the penalty spot.

Although Percival will take all the plaudits, a mention must go to PR’s replacement goalkeeper Chris Foley, whose series of saves – including a penalty stop – helped guide his team into the third round.

Also through to the third round are Semington Magpies, who edged a 6-4 thriller against Westbury United Reserves.

The game ebbed and flowed several times as Semington came from a goal down to lead 2-1 thanks to Ant Lamb and Tyler Dagger’s efforts. By half-time, Semington still held the lead – but now it was 4-3.

The Magpies continued to slightly outperform their opponents in the second half as Kyle Morgan-Hemmens added the hosts’ fifth.

Sam Young then appeared to have settled the game when scoring a sixth for Semington with his first touch of the game.

Refusing to sit back, Westbury were rewarded for their late endeavours when Matty Dew scored his second of the game from the spot.

Meanwhile, a first-half hat-trick by Jake Wright booked Heytesbury’s third-round spot after they saw off Marshfield 4-1.

Corey Gardner scored Heytesbury’s fourth on 56 minutes to confirm Marshfield’s exit.

There were also wins for Three Daggers, who beat Calne Eagles 5-2, while Hilperton ran out 4-0 winners against Freshford United.

Warminster United also won, beating Melksham Town A 5-1.

Liam Gibbons notched a deserved brace for the winners, while Morgan Akerman scored Melksham’s consolation goal.