CHIPPENHAM Town returned to winning ways on Saturday following a 2-0 victory away at struggling Chelmsford City in National League South.

A very well worked first-half goal from Ross Stearn sent the Bluebirds on their way before Bradley Ash capped off the diligent performance with a second in second-half stoppage time.

Mike Cook’s men had been without a win in their previous five games in all competitions but showed very few signs of a lack of confidence as they put Chelmsford to the sword to move up to 10th in the table.

Chippenham started brightly at the Melbourne Stadium as Alex Bray saw an early effort saved by Lee Worgan before the visitors saw shouts for a penalty waved away after Stearn went down inside the box.

City’s Alexander Teniola saw a bicycle kick easily saved by Will Puddy as the hosts went close inside the opening 10 minutes also.

It took until the 25th minute for the scoring to begin, however, though it was well worth the wait from a Chippenham perspective.

Adam Mann worked some space down the left before firing a pass into Alex Bray inside the box.

Bray’s touch was good enough to push it out in front of him, the winger then cut back to an advancing Stearn to calmly steer into the net from eight yards out.

With Chippenham seemingly cruising into half-time, Chelmsford should have levelled the game just before the break after the hosts won a free-kick out on the right.

Chippenham tried to play offside, but Adebola Oluwo sprung the trap to find himself as free as a bird inside the penalty area. The City defender evidently did not realise how much time he had though and blasted well over.

Chelmsford won a succession of corners but could not create a clear opportunity as Chippenham’s Mann curled into the arms of Worgan midway through the second period.

Shortly after, Puddy had to be at his best to deny Cameron James from close range – a fantastic save down low prevented Chelmsford from pulling a goal back.

The Bluebirds’ stopper earned his corn once again with seven minutes to go after Thomas Wraight burst through on goal, only to be denied by Puddy.

And inside the four minutes of added time, Cook’s men made the game safe after Worgan had his pocket picked by Bray.

The winger found Ash on the far side before the striker kept his cool to slot into the bottom left corner and ice the result.

Chelmsford had an excellent late chance from a corner, but Puddy sprung a hand above his head to turn the ball over from a header.