SWINDON Supermarine saw their Buildbase FA Trophy campaign come to a shuddering halt on Saturday after a 4-0 defeat by Bath City.

The National League South outfit struggled to break Lee Spalding’s men down in a goalless first half before former Swindon Town man, Tom Smith struck twice after the break.

Tommy Conway dispatched a penalty to put Bath three goals up, and Tom Richards added a fourth late on.

Marine now have until at least January 9 without a game as the Southern League have joined the Northern League and the Isthmian League in opting to continue the suspension of all fixtures.

Spalding’s men began brightly at Twerton Park as Matt Liddiard headed an early cross just wide.

Brad Hooper then hit a long-range effort over the top, and Louis Spalding kept up the away side’s efforts with another miscued shot in the 10th minute.

Bath finally had a shot on the 15-minute mark when Freddie Grant blasted over, and Jamie Edge was next to try as the sequence of long-distant shots continued to fail to trouble the goalkeepers.

The Romans did not manage a shot on target in the first half hour of the game before Smith created the first real chance for Bath in the 35th minute.

Liddiard bravely blocked Jack Batten’s shot before Freddie Grant’s tame follow up was collected by Martin Horsell in the Marine goal.

Minutes before the break, the best chance of the half fell to Henry Spalding who broke away following a neat Conor McDonagh through ball.

However, the visitors were denied after Batten got back just in time to block the effort. Spalding’s men continued their positive first half into the second as McDonagh saw a snapshot saved by the legs of Will Henry.

But despite all of the Southern League Premier side’s good work, it was their National League South counterparts who took the lead on the hour.

Jamie Edge did well to deny Ryan Harley on the edge of the box, but from the follow up he was adjudged to have handled the ball. Smith stepped up and drilled the free-kick hard and low into the corner to put Bath in front.

Smith then doubled his tally following a scramble in the box – the Bath City man reacted quickest to fire a shot through several bodies and into the corner.

Michael Hopkins was adjudged to have fouled Conway with 20 minutes to play, and the Bath man picked himself up to slam home the spot-kick.

Bath then scored a fourth goal with 10 minutes to play after Conway came out on top in a battle with Pierce Mitchell before sliding a low cross over for Richards to tap into the net and complete the rout.