ANOTHER weekend of cup fixtures in the shoestrings-chargrill Chippenham Sunday League conjured up a few surprises, which have thrown the group stages of the WG Parr Trophy and Subsidiary Cup wide open.

Both FC Devizes United and Pack Horse went into their A M Print & Copy sponsored Knockout Cup, Group A clash on the back of impressive victories in their opening quarter-final ties last weekend. A 4-0 victory for Devizes has put them in pole position to top the group, and despite their loss Pack Horse are likely to join them if they avoid defeat against Sporting Box next weekend.

Devizes who reached the semi-finals last season were always on top in the match and were 1-0 up at the break thanks to a Declan McStravick effort. Oscar Webster on his return from a 3 match suspension added.

Sporting Box FC 1 Calne United FC 1

A 1-1 draw at Vallens Terrace, between hosts, first division Sporting Box and their second division opponents Calne United did no favours for either team as it means both will have to secure unlikely victories in their final games to have any chance of progressing to the last four. Chris Halliday was on target for Calne, while Nathan Baldwin replyed for Box, with both goals coming in the first half.

AFC Melksham 5 Bromham 1

Bromham hopes of reaching the semi-finals ended with a 5-1 loss away at AFC Melksham, whose win means that they have secured a place in the top 2 of Group B. AFC Melksham were at their best and put in a controlled performance to get the better of their rivals. Seth Wain’s double and a goal each for Jack Woolsgrove, Ryan Baggs and Sam Tallis had the tie won for Dave Jenkins side before Jamie Hall struck a late consolation for Bromham.

Semington FC 1 FC Lacock 4

As expected FC Lacock picked up the 3 points away at Semington FC thanks to a 4-1 triumph. The victory means that the villagers have made it through to the semi-final stage of the competition for a second successive season and will face AFC Melksham next weekend to see which of the two sides will top the table. Mark Dolman bagged himself a brace for the winners, with Aaron Masson and Billy Gleed adding the other to make up the quartet. Sam McQueen was Semington’s lone marksman.

RP Clarke Sheds & Fencing sponsored WG Parr Trophy holders, Bath Road took another step to regaining the trophy they won back in 2019, a 4-0 defeat of Biddestone sees them on 6 points which is enough for them to finish in the top two of Group B. Goals for Nick Mills and Aiden Jackson gave Bath Road a 2-0 interval lead. Jack Sanderson doubled-up in the second half to complete the quartet.

The Castle FC 2 Bremhill View 1

The Castle who were held to a draw by Biddestone in their opening Group B game, are back in the hunt for a semi-final spot after they beat Bremhill View 2-1. The result means that Tom Perkins side now have an excellent chance of making it through to the last four of the competition even if they suffer defeat at Bath Road next weekend. Dan Sloane opened the scoring for the Castle when he turned home an Ash Huntley corner. Bremhill View restored parity though Jake Taylor who was on hand to bundle the ball home after Castle’s keeper Adam Walters had kept the initial effort out with a superb save. 5 minutes from time Nathan Emm headed home a Dan Slone free kick to earn Castle their win.

A 3-0 victory for first division Old Road away at second division Fox & Hounds (Warminster) saw them register their first points in Group A of the WG Parr Trophy quarter-finals. An own goal, Matt Sparado and a penalty from Seamus Nickless-Mooney earned Old Road their win, and if they avoid defeat at Chippenham Icons in a weeks’ time they will be in the final 4.

Lavis FC 4 Chippenham Icons FC 1

The heavyweight clash between first division stable mates Lavis FC and Chippenham Icons went the way of the former, the 4-1 success for Aaron Latchem’s team gives them maximum points from their two outings so far so unless they implode next week when they face Fox & Hounds they will be in the semi-finals. Ashton Shanley’s long range effort into the bottom corner cancelled out Matt Harvey’s goal for the Icons. Nick Taylor headed home a second for Lavis, Jack Booth’s excellent free kick made it 3-1 before Mark Maguire added number 4 from the penalty spot.

Sutton Benger 5 Spartak Rudloe 1

Sutton Benger took a firm grip in Group D of the Gooding Account sponsored Subsidiary Cup as they followed up their opening victory with a resounding 5-1 over Spartak Rudloe. Plenty of hard work took place prior to the match to enable the match to take place with The Beeches in Shaw answering the SOS to provide the setting for the match and it was Benger who started the brighter of the two teams with a high pressing game from the start and some nice link up play between James Hernandez and Ethan Jones resulted in the former's curling effort hitting the upright with the first chance of the game.

The post was rattled again when with roles reversed, Hernandez put through Jones who hit the same post in an almost carbon copy of the first chance and it felt like it might be one of those days when a Jones corner was met by a bullet header from Alex Bell only for veteran goalkeeper James Whitehead to produce a superb one handed save to keep the scores level.

The opening goal did finally come midway through the half when Matt Bartlett scored his second goal in as many games, coming in from the right and curling his shot beyond Whitehead and it was soon two nil when James Weston scored from the spot shortly after.

Spartak did find a way back into the match just before the interval when Andy Wilkins was afforded some space for the first time and he scored a trademark drive from 20 yards.

This saw Spartak emerge for the second half slightly rejuvenated but Sutton Benger’s stoic defence meant Luke Todd’s goal was rarely threatened with any clear cut chances to speak of. The woodwork was once again the difference when Ethan Jones and James Weston both hit the crossbar within minutes of each other but Benger finally put some daylight between the two teams again when Ethan Jones finally got himself the goal he deserved when some nice work from the midfield and more link up play with Hernandez saw Jones lob the advancing Whitehead and that was followed up shortly after with his second of the game and Bengers fourth.

The win was wrapped up when a commanding run from Ethan Moore out of defence saw substitute Dan Smith play fellow sub Matt Carter in to drill home the fifth and final goal of the day.

Steeple Ashton 4 Calne Athletic 1

A 4-1 defeat for Calne Athletic away at Steeple Ashton means that if Steve Browning’s side are to progress to the semi-finals they will need to beat Beeches FC next weekend. Ashton who had never lost to Athletic in their 4 previous encounters were well up for the tie against Steve Browning’s side and deserved their latest success. Steeple Ashton went in at half time 1-1 however a fantastic second half performance seen them brush Calne Athletic aside. The scorers were Adam Gough, Carl Ledbury, Ollie Nash and Alex Bates, with Matthew Kirtley netting for Calne.

Following the decision of North Star Club to withdraw from this season’s Gooding Accounts sponsored Subsidiary Cup it has left Group A of the competition a team short. To keep things fair all of the Star’s scheduled opponents, Beeches FC, Calne Athletic and Steeple Ashton have been awarded 3 points and a 3-0 score line.

Kingfisher FC 2 Corsham Wildcats FC 6

For a second successive Group B match Corsham Wildcats were very understrength, but come away with a 6-2 win away to Kingfisher. However it wasn’t the top division that prevailed this time. The Wildcats were unstoppable today producing a fine performance. Goals scored by Darrin Moss, Adam Mitchell and Ben Wickens scoring 2 goals apiece for the Division one side. Luke Carr, Josh Butler getting the goals for Kingfisher.

Forest Community Centre 1 v Royal Oak FC 2

Premier division, Forest Community Centre failed to picked up their first group win at home to division one Royal Oak whose cup dreams are far from over after a tough battle with FFC which saw the Oak Men come out on top winning 2-1. Sean Horobin scoring for the home side, Josh Duckett and Danny Williams earned the visitors their win. The home team manager thought they didn’t deserve to lose and said the draw was more deserved. The defeat leaves Forest tinkering on the brink of an exit from the cup, but they remain in the mix, but will need results to go their way next week.

FC Pilot 7 Libby 3

After romping to an 8-2 win over Misfits last weekend, cup favourites FC Pilot, were in the goals once again as they destroyed local rivals FC Libby 7-3 in their latest Group C encounter. Stuart Barber with a fantastic hat trick and then Graham Griffith with a double with the ones being scored by Luke Turvey and Sean Meer. Cameron Pearce with 2 and a single for Owen Pearce replied for Libby.