THE Times rounds up the latest action from the Chippenham & District Sunday League.

United shock Lacock to reach Knockout Cup Final

AFC Melksham and FC Devizes United will contest this season’s A M Print & Copy sponsored Knockout Cup Final following semi-final victories over respective opponents Pack Horse FC and FC Lacock.

Dave Jenkins, who is in his first season as Melksham manager, will be happy to have avoided a potential banana skin after booking their place in next Sunday’s final with a nail-biting 3-2 triumph over Gary Williamson’s Pack Horse outfit.

Cup favourites, Melksham, who suffered a 2-0 loss to Box Rovers in the 2019 final, looked to be coasting to victory as they went 2-0 up in the opening 15 minutes as Joe Maloney gave them the lead on 9 minutes and Jordan Kick doubled the advantage 5 minutes later.

Pack Horse may have been down, but they weren’t out of the game as after threatening to reduce the arrears, Josh Madle finally unlocked the Melksham defence on 33 minutes. A few minutes later it was game on as Emilio Mudrak planted home to restore parity at 2-apiece.

The next goal was always going to be important and it arrived three minutes into the second half, with Ryan Baggs tapping home what proved to be the Melksham winner.

FC Devizes United 2 FC Lacock 0

In what would have been a repeat of last term's semi-final had Covid-19 not interrupted the campaign, second division FC Devizes United entertained top flight opponents FC Lacock at Beversbrook.

In a match that had been billed as youth verses experience, it was the youngsters of Devizes who came out on top, winning 2-0 against a Lacock side who were missing a few players, but in truth never got up for the game.

Devizes, who could have been 4-0 up in the opening 20 minutes, failed to take any of their many chances before Jamie Walters gave them a 1-0 advantage at the break. Gabe Costello’s second-half strike made the result safe, and it makes for what promises to be a thrilling final next Sunday. Especially if goalkeeper Evan Webster, who has not conceded a goal since football returned in early April, can maintain his great form between the sticks.

Lavis & Castle book Parr Trophy final spot

Bath Road will not be defending the RP Clarke Sheds & Fencing sponsored WG Parr Trophy that they won back in 2019 after beating New Inn Wacker 2-0. Bath Road were outplayed in every department by first division opponents Lavis FC for whom Ashton Shanley and Jack Booth were exceptional as they helped Aaron Latchem’s team to a thumping 5-1 win.

Ashton Shanley broke the deadlock for Lavis, Jack Booth doubled their lead and Mark Magiure made it 3-0 before Nick Taylor fired home to give his side a 4-0 half time lead, which really could and should have been double that had they taken their many chances.

A great free-kick from Jack Booth capped a five-star performance before Jack Sanderson pulled a goal back for Bath Road when he scored from the penalty spot. Lavis had a penalty of their own, however, Kieron Plumber wasted the chance from the spot, but by then it made little difference to the outcome as Lavis already had the tie won.

The Castle FC 3 Old Road FC 0

Chippenham-based Old Road, who reached the final of last year’s competition but never got the chance to compete in it, travelled to Sands Lane for a semi-final showdown with second division opposition The Castle.

The Castle's squad was brimming with many former top-flight players, and unfortunately for Old Road there was no fairy-tale ending to this year’s cup run as Tom Perkins' Castle side claimed the final spot, thanks to a 3-0 win.

Chris Allen gave Castle a 1-0 interval lead, and after the break, a second for Allen and a fine finish from Matthew Tilley booked Castle their place in the final. The Lye, Seend will stage the final next Sunday morning (10.45am Kick-Off) between Lavis and The Castle FC.

Misfits end season with a win

After sharing six goals in their previous Gooding Accounts sponsored Subsidiary Cup Group C outing, Misfits and FC Libby were against involved in another six-goal contest when the sides met in the reverse encounter. Unlike the first meeting that ended 3-3, Misfits ended their season with an excellent 5-1 success.

Libby were in the game at the break as they trailed by the odd goal in three, Cameron Pearce scoring after Ishan Pantry and Darren Applegate had netted for Misfits. The second half saw Misfits surge clear of their rivals, but only after the introduction of substitutes Ben Thomas who like in the first game helped himself to a brace and Gareth Jones who completed the scoring.

FC Libby 2 FC Pilot 15

FC Pilot took their goals scored tally to 42 in just four Subsidiary Cup matches, having already defeated local rivals FC Libby 7-3 at the end of April, Graham Griffith’s team doubled that tally in the reverse encounter on Thursday evening, with a thumping 15-2 success.

Rhys Talmash, who has not played for Pilot since they suffered a 4-0 Knockout Cup loss to Bromham on the 11th April, led the carnage with 8 of the 15, Ruben Bell scored a hat trick, Tom Blackman netted twice with a goal each from Ollie Gee and Sean Meer completing the rout.

Dan Walker and Owen Pearce were on target for Libby.

Spartak Rudloe 1 Sutton Benger FC 5

Group D of the Gooding Account sponsored Subsidiary Cup finished in a somewhat farcical situation as Max Bray’s Spartak Rudloe side who were unable to raise a side for the competition opener against Warminster Athletic, were unable to get a team together for their midweek clash with the same opponents. Although already guaranteed qualification from Group D of the Subsidiary Cup, Sutton Benger wanted to sign off the group with a win but they were made to work for the spoils despite ending with the same 5-1 winning score line as the reverse fixture.

A competitive first half saw just the one goal, Andy Woods rising highest to head home from a Max Bray corner and despite numerous chances, the score remained 1-0 until half time.

The equaliser for Benger arrived shortly after the restrat when two substitutes combined, Matt Carter playing in James Hernandez with a lovely reverse who slid the ball home passed James Whitehead and this opened the floodgates for a second half onslaught from The Buttons.

Benger’s second came from the penalty spot, Luke Todd provided a cross from the right hand side which was caressed by Hernandez into the path of Alex Bell who was brought down as he was about to pull the trigger. It was Bell himself who dusted himself down to slot home the penalty passed the hapless James Whitehead.

Whitehead’s day went from bad to worse as he was taking an early shower when he took out Alex Bell with what can only be described as a wreakless challenge when bearing down on goal, giving the referee no alternative but to reach for his top pocket. Bell again dispatched the resulting penalty.

Three soon became four when James Weston got in on the act waltzing through the defence like a ballerina and firing home for 4-1. The icing on the cake came when Luke Todd breached the offside trap to square the ball for the predatory Dan Smith to tap home for his second goal in two games.

The result means Sutton Benger comfortably topped the group with four wins out of four scoring twenty goals in the process with only three conceded meaning they go into the semi-final with The Beeches in good form and high spirits.